4 replies to this topic

#1 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

Advanced Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

Damn...I finished early today, My spare time on my box and WNSO.Let me tell you basic of overclocking.

WARNING: IF YOU mess your cpu,Don't complain. Read carefully. and heck...cos of rajunpl i messed my system..i don't want to hrar that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Let's get down to business.To overclock you must have adequate cooling.Getting higher performance out of your current CPU can be done by overclocking - overclocking is dangerous and should only be attempted in small incremental steps/stages.

Overclocking voids hardware warranty, can damage hardware or can make a system unstable.

First you look at your temperature, for most modern CPU's if your temperature is around 30 - 40 degrees when idle it will increase to 37 - 46 under a heavier load. I personally wouldn't overclock if my CPU doesn't fit within these boundaries, my XP2500+ has a temperature that is too high and thus I don't overclock.

Overclocking will reduce the lifespan of your hardware, but seeing as though hardware lifespan is something as rediculous as 1,000,000 hours, whats the harm in taking a few thousand from that?

Down to it.

Overclocking can be done in 2 main ways.
Firstly raising the FSB speed by a few MHz and letting the multiplier do its job.

Example, say you have a AMD Athlon XP3200+ (2.2GHz) with a FSB speed of originally 200MHz (in BIOS) and a multiplier at 11, giving a total GHz of 2.2, 11 x 200MHz = 2200MHz (2.2GHz) .

Increasing this FSB speed to 205MHz BIOS will give you:

205MHz x multiplier of 11 = 2255MHz (2.26GHz)

Simple see! A problem you might encounter is that your system becomes unstable, to make the CPU stable again you should give it more power, i.e. increase the voltage, from 1.65V (default for the XP3200+) to 1.675V or maybe 1.7V.

Increasing the voltage substantially increases the temperature depending on what cooling solution you have.

Repeat these steps until you have a satisfactory speed and temperature, and hopefully a stable system.

#2 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

Don't know if the word limit has been increased with forum upgrading howver back to overclocking

It is simple to correct the problem when Windows won't boot because you have overclocked too far; you can obviously step the MHz down a little bit until it does boot. The reason I say 5MHz is because some people have multipliers of 9 and others 13, i.e. giving a total overclock of 5MHz x 9 or 13= 45MHz or 65MHz - there is a substantial difference see

The bigger problem, and one I came across recently, is when BIOS won't even boot - you get the black screen of death.

It is simple to reset BIOS, so keep a note of how far you have overclocked because you might have to reset BIOS to default.

Hope this will help some folks.

Amen

#3 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Hmm.. No folks sonds interested on overclocking, ain't going forward for oveclocking tutorial.

Edited by rajunpl, 06 August 2004 - 09:30 AM.

#4 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Hmm.. No folks sonds interested on overclocking, ain't going forward for oveclocking tutorial.

No..it is interesting..i am familiar with the concept though, i dont think i have enough fans in my system to overclock the processor.
Actually recently they have come out with cooling system that can drag processor to subzero temperature..pretty smart technology.. i will post the link when i find it.
I have been pretty busy this week at work..so could not post a lot smile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by rs_1915, 06 August 2004 - 12:57 PM.

:)

#5 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:48 AM

Hmm..that's sounds interesting, pass me that link ASAP and thanks in advance...LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users