- With the fall of Roman Empire, medical schools were closed. Dissections prohibited.
- Europe hit with epidemics of plague, small pox, leprosy, TB.
- Practise of medicine reverted back to superstition and spirituality.
- Sense of personal hygiene and sanitation was lost.
- Therefore that period is also called the ”Dark Ages of Medicine”
- While the Europe was mourning Dark ages of Medicine, Arabs translated the scripts of Greek and Roman Medicine into Arabic and developed it further into Unani Medicine.
- Abu Becr (865 – 925 AD): Physician – was the first to observe pupilary reaction to light and to publish a book on children’s disease.
- Abu Ali Ibn Sina (980 – 1037): wrote 5 volumes of Canon of Medicine, which was the text book in the medical colleges until 14 century. Very keen physician and said that proper history taking gives a diagnosis.
ps: The college where i studied was named after Abu Ali Ibn Sina (AVICENA)