Sign in to follow this  
Subash Dahal

Tourism in Nepal

Tourism in Nepal has been a burning news since a couple of decades. Tourism has been a major source of earning foreign currency, thanks to the Geological wonders that our country possesses. Tourism has brought not only foreign currency but also the wealth in the form of warmth and affection that the foreigners bestow towards us.

Nepal has been organising different events to help grow this industry. But only "VISIT NEPAL 1998" was quite effective. I believe that the Nepalese students abroad and also the Non Resident Nepalese should contribute to uplift this sector from their respective countries. If one Nepali convinces at least one foreigner to visit Nepal, our Tourism industry would double. It is a profound request from our side that Nepali people abroad should never think of forgetting Nepal, its culture and their originality. Come on....Lets make this land of paradise......a Tourist Destination

With no doubt, Nepal is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

Many people who visited Nepal always admired Nepal as a beautiful country and Nepali people as friendly people. Although, we can see in the recent news (http://www.nepalnews.com/archive/2007/oct/oct04/news13.php) that tourist arrivals are increased, we could have done even better if political situation of Nepal would have been stable.

I came across with many people saying political stability is the main issue which has become major barrier for the growth of tourism in Nepal.

In past I used to work for an organization which manages tourism (upt0 70,000) a year at a price of 2000 NRs per tourist in a Nepals conservation area. We have largst number of tourists from Europe (Germany, UK large proportioni) and then from America. Thought Indian tourists are the major spender in country they do not come Nepal for beauty of Himalaya rather for other purposes. Coming back to point, tourist in Nepal want to walk in remote villages in enjoying beauty and calm and if one tourist is hurt (in any way) others are relucted to go there. The extortion, forced donation in remote areas are what tourists afraid of. They want a sense of security and they are afraid of people with guns in the middle of walking trails. I have been hearing news of maoists asking tourists to pay for taxes in Myagdi. This won't hard people in Myagdi only but to whole nations. From 70000 tourist in 2001, we had 34000 in 2005 in Annapurna region. This is a significant decrease and I am not currently updated with data but I believe there have been increasing trend. Since US government's response is followed by its allies in Europe, the trend is such that if US government issues travel warning to any country, EU follows the trend too and ordinary people are reluctant to visit a country where travel warning is in place. I have seen many tourists, who planned a trip to Nepal but with the security warning in effect, they change their destination to Bhutan and India. If you look at the growth trend of tourism in Bhutan, it has similar growth trend as the trend of decrease in Nepal. Tourism is a very sensitive business. Look at Kasmir, India. Upuntil 1988, Kashmir was one of world's favorite destination. But now, many people do not know about Kasmir. We should handle tourism business with care. Either we are maoist or government, we must leave tourism aside and do our work. Thus our attitude is the main barrier. Leave the tourists aside and work from there. This only thing going to help.

Tourism in Nepal has been a burning news since a couple of decades. Tourism has been a major source of earning foreign currency, thanks to the Geological wonders that our country possesses. Tourism has brought not only foreign currency but also the wealth in the form of warmth and affection that the foreigners bestow towards us.

Nepal has been organising different events to help grow this industry. But only "VISIT NEPAL 1998" was quite effective. I believe that the Nepalese students abroad and also the Non Resident Nepalese should contribute to uplift this sector from their respective countries. If one Nepali convinces at least one foreigner to visit Nepal, our Tourism industry would double. It is a profound request from our side that Nepali people abroad should never think of forgetting Nepal, its culture and their originality. Come on....Lets make this land of paradise......a Tourist Destination

Hallo Subash Ji,

Thank you for your concern, NRN certainly trying to send a friend home..

You might have broad factual knowledge and could you inform us more ....

How is Adventure tourism in Nepal ?

1. What is the current adventure tourism product of Nepal?

2. How is the (tourism) infrastructure in Nepal?

3. What are the government policies for adventure tourism development?

4. How to attract more tourist in adventure tourism?

5. How to promote adventure tourism in international market ?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers'

Biren