Photo

How com i really know My Anti virus doing it's task?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 quadgeek

quadgeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

I read some article on viruses and adware and the mallicious thing on the net that Our PC can cought! Hopefully i get few many statement were alliens to me...
I am really scared yar! coz of virus! R they that bad, risky, er dangerous?

I use some Bearshare to downloand and Free download manager...I was really overwhelmed they posses hell lot a thing ebooks, softwares games music videos and the ....other stuffs......
But frm few days got problemo while booting, and downloading , not to mention I cannot view history on Iexplorer. few times it shutdown automatically, producing some beep and saying pressing shift key more than......sth like that,
I do the scannign but it say it is clean and clear no daindruff!

well my question is it due to VIRUS er sthelse, like Windows problems?
And how com i know the things i mean every packets that my computer receives while i am online are filtered? isn't that the job of anti virus?

I got a MCaFee antivirus software, How com i really know it is doing its thing?

#2 Ratna

Ratna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

Hello quadqeek,
I have read ur problem. At some extent, I can understand ur problem.

Not all the Viruses are dangerous. Some type of viruses only occupy ur space and replicate itself.
But some of the viruses are really bad and really harms ur computer and force us to repair a windows.
But if u have installed NAV2005(Norton AntiVirus 2005), then most of the viruses are filtered.
Generally antivirus programs do the following:
Stop viruses before they can infect ur computer.
Detect viruses that may already infected ur computer.
Remove virus before they can do the damages.
Ur problem is not clear, that's why I have to tell u in some detail.
U have told about automatic shutdown. Please check this with shutdown s t 60 command( from start menu>run). If this is a same case, cancel it temporarily with shutdown a command while it occurs. For permanent removal of this virus, please use NAV2005.
This may also due to the Boot Sector Virus. To check a boot sector virus, use the following steps.
Enter in DOS mode.
Type debug (generally at C:\>) and press enter.
Then type one of the following to examine the boot sector.
L 100 2 0 1 (examine the boot sector on drive C)
L 100 3 0 1 (examine the boot sector on drive D) and so on.
Then type d and press enter. Each time u type D and press enter, the debug program displays the different parts of the boot sector.

I think , while we are at online, this is not a work of Antivirus for packet filtering.
Thanks.

PROGRAMMERS ARE ARTISTS

#3 quadgeek

quadgeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Ratna @ Mar 16 2006, 02:50 PM) View Post

force us to repair a windows.

First of Thank You for your time to hav read the bizzare problem! It may sound coz i am novice computer user. Sorry for the inconvin...

Does Reparing windows work for virus? Do u mean Formating again by reparing?

I tried the Debug command on the dosprompt... it says:=[(I tried to Print scren n paste here but don work how com i pate pictures here?so i am tring to write hope it make senses.)
c:\> debug
- L100 2 0 1 (I enter and the dialog box appear saying Applicating has attempted to directly access hard disk whis is not supported this may cause application to function improperly. so choose close to terminate.)
what was that?

I got McAFee Anti virus. Shall i need Norton er it will work?

I haven't tried shut down thing
Do i hav to enter shutdown -s -t 60 then a er i don get?

Thank you again for ur kind response and advice .... hope this make sense this time...

#4 quadgeek

quadgeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

the shutdown -s -t 60 -a shuts down my PC...
but thing is
I keep my computer on for the 3 or 4 hrs in the night and keep running Limeware(a program to download some software) When i wake up and see...
It was automatically restarted and was in the state of WELCOME SCREEN prompting for password....
What was that? was that because of virus..?

#5 Ratna

Ratna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hello,
Thanks for trying my solutions.
I was telling u about a virus problem. You should not have to repair a windows because of virus coz this is the last case.
Some of the virus call the system function like shutdown and shutdowns the computer automatically after some time. That's why, I was telling u about this condition. If this is ur problem, u can cancel it using shutdown a command.
Please use NAV for better output.
If the debug command does not work ( I mean harddisk access problem), u can use a bootable floppy or CDROM and try it further.
To capture ur screen please use printscreen command directly from the keyboard and paste it to the mspaint as a picture(*.bmp).

And at last , the last problem is due to the automatic lof off of ur windows. If u have to download something at night, Please go to the control panel>power options and and choose a "turn off hard disk options". Then the system will shutdown automatically after a assigned time.(But a computer starts counting this time after all the process has completed.)

Thanks

PROGRAMMERS ARE ARTISTS

#6 quadgeek

quadgeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(Ratna @ Mar 17 2006, 04:52 PM) View Post

Please use NAV for better output.

OK, I will move to NORTON ANTI VIRUS..

If the debug command does not work ( I mean harddisk access problem), u can use a bootable floppy or CDROM and try it further.
To capture ur screen please use printscreen command directly from the keyboard and paste it to the mspaint as a picture(*.bmp).

And at last , the last problem is due to the automatic lof off of ur windows. If u have to download something at night, Please go to the control panel>power options and and choose a "turn off hard disk options". Then the system will shutdown automatically after a assigned time.(But a computer starts counting this time after all the process has completed.)

Bootable floopy re! How can i do that? I mean can u eloborate a lil....

I did the Printscreen thing and What was telling was I could not paste On this Text area of wnso, when i clik the picture icon it ask for url??

Does that mean After Downloading is completed the PC shut off Automatically...?I will giv it a try.?

Thank you Ranta for your decent help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users