4 replies to this topic

#1 southern

southern

WNSO Soccer Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:57 PM

I have broken my hard drive into two partitions- one with windows and i'd like to make the larger partition(110 gigs) FAT32 so i can access it from windows and linux, but i've tried to format it with windows and linux and it doesnt work.

In linux, I downloaded dosfstools and used mkfs.vfat /dev/hda2 and it said "the filesystem is too large"

in windows, i try to format the drive from "my computer" and it only gives me the option of formatting it NTFS, which is wierd cuz i've formatted my 30 gig drive to FAT32 a few times from windows this way.

Can anybody help me for this? Thanks

#2 southern

southern

WNSO Soccer Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:59 PM

another quick question,

Shall I boot the computer from partion software or linux? when I have 2 system?

#3 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

Advanced Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:32 AM

Southern,

FAT has limitation on hardisk size,use NTFS file system to format your hardrive.plus Linux recognise NTFS. what you do is

1.Format with NTFS

2.Install your windows (should be any win32 like win2k or XP)

3.Now, Install Linux

4.It will automatically partition your HDD into 3 partition, Linux require root,boot and system partition.plus It will reserve your windows safely.If possible give me name which linux you are using?

5.After installing, Linux bootloader will allow you to choose the OS.

#4 linuxaddict

linuxaddict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Southern,
Try Partition Magic. First install Windows, but when you are making partition create 2 drive on FAT file system.(Use c Drive only on wondows) After windows instlation complete install partition magic and use it to create linux file system [ in another drive you have created] and install linux there. It is the easy and best way to insttal linux and windows in one system.

Edited by linuxaddict, 05 September 2005 - 10:11 PM.

SoMe pEoPle HaVe ToLd Me tHEy Don'T thINk a fAt pEnGuIn rEAllY EmbODies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.

#5 Ratna

Ratna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:25 PM

Hi
Don't worry man.
Just break ur harddrive into two partition.
Format one of this partition into any windows compatible file system (FAT32,NTFS etc), but u have to know
NTFS is not compatible with linux.
Then format another partition with linux compatible file system (ext2, ext3) using dual boot, then u will get the complete better system.

Bye..
PROGRAMMERS ARE ARTISTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users