Sign in to follow this  
Limitation//Moon

Credit card USAGE over the net and worries

As I usually see the the problem to the people who doubts using credit card over the net and their worries...though I try to explain them, I figure they just end up on saying, yep....but to the deep down they don wanna ask too deep....

As I do...I have a problem going too depp, when it suppose to tongue.gif so I am going in here.....

Most(almost all) of the credit card transaction is done over the connection called SSL (secure socket layer) This means there is another layer working with HTTP layer...

Remember: you are able to surf www.wnso.org because there is a HTTP protocol, working with you....There is his another best friend called SSL protocol..who works perfectly well with HTTP protocol...He feels the same way that...HTTP feels smile.gif

So...here is a deep relation between SSL and credit card transaction like husband and wife or the Boyfriend and GF tongue.gif, Lemme explain you in a short who uses SSL,

Who uses SSL?

Anybody who cares for their customers information (ie...institution).... Used by many internet banks, online career services etc. But anyone who's approved by a certificate user can implement it.

So here we go....That's all it about,

Then what the heck is SSL?

In a very simple way ....your best frienfd smile.gif He loves so much...

Since he is my best friend, How will he work with me?.....alikati dhairya smile.gif aba alik sochna parcha smile.gif

It's little trick here....SSL is a protocol that offers secure transmission over the HTTP-protocol. It has become a standard for authentication and encryption between web browsers and servers..... If you use SSL in your web applications it’s close to impossible to steal the exchanged information. ...bujyo?..ki bujena If you don’t, it’s very easy. SSL has two implementations: Server-side certificate implementation and server and client-side certificate implementation. This article explains the first, because it's the most commonly used.

SSL does three things:

1.Tells the client if the server is who he claims to be or not.remember this..

2.Encrypts the transmission.

3.Will notice if data has been tampered with during transmission.

SSL certificate:

Obviously, the implementation of SSL requires a certificate (Identity), which is provided by an SSL-providor, for eg Verisign. The providor only issues certificates to approved customers. They have certain procedures to check out a customer, so they don’t deliver to crooks. The server admin will put the certificate on the server and enable SSL. It’s also important that browsers which will communicate with the server support SSL and have SSL enabled.

The SSL handshake: ( kasari connection secure hunchs ta ? )

When you host a server and you get your certificate....I personally choose hosting company tongue.gif it proves that the server is safe and belongs to you. A transmission is started with an SSL handshake that authenticates the server. When a browser requests document from the server, the URL will change from ‘http’ to ‘https’. The browser will also display a lock icon, and when the lock is clicked with the mouse, the certificate will be displayed so that the user can check it out. If the certificate isn’t valid or has expired, the browser will automatically message the user.

Finally.... encryption

SSL uses a 128-bit (connection speed) RSA-algorithm. The higher number the better, and 128 takes quite a while to crack. How does the key stuff work? Well, RSA uses PUBLIC and PRIVATE keys( yo sbailai thaha huna pardaina...it just will work..the way it meant to be) The server issues a public key to the client (browser), which encrypts it’s information with it and sends the encrypted message back to the server. T

he server then... decrypts the information with it’s private key. What’s important here is the public key cannot decrypt the message, only the private key. That’s what’s so fantastic about the RSA algorithm.

So here's how

Always make sure you see HTTPS instead of HTTP like for eg

You gotta see https://www.wnso.org (non existent)

instead of

http://www.wnso.org

the only difference is S....then you can go ahead..

Edited by Negative Phreek

Hi LM,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information about using Credit card in net.

I understood that https:// is very important and should be noticed.

You see, as your explanation it's safe to use C.C. if I see https:, but what about using C.C. from public places, like cyber cafe or library. Can they store my C.C. details when I use interent using their computer?

Is it safe to use C.C. transaction from anywhere? Please suggest..

regards,

VZ

You see, as your explanation it's safe to use C.C. if I see https:, but what about using C.C. from public places, like cyber cafe or library. Can they store my C.C. details when I use interent using their computer?

70166[/snapback]

Absolutely not, your data can be hijacked using packet sniffers and internet cafe themself aren't secure. You gotta see behind your shoulder (very carefully) And as for Library I think they won't allow you and even if they, then just don't do it.

Whenever you do CC deals over the net, safest place is home provied that

1 Clear your internet cookies

2 Set the firewall to deny cookies

3 Have anti-virus protection

4 Use anti-spyware....

Was......? Hast du kein Geld? Na dann wer fragst dir?

Ich. ; )

Edited by MatrixRose

Obviously every on-line transaction are done via SSL (ie. https://) but the question still remains how secure it is?

I found out this morning when my creditcard company called to verify whether I purchased anything yesterday. Only thing I bought yesterday using my credit card was a travel ticket.

I came to know somebody did a nice shopping with my credit card details yesterday worth of almost 1000 pounds.

I was asked to destroy my credit card.

Not sure how they got my credit card details.

Damn Mountain that sucks. But if you really want and also as you already might know there is always a way to find who used your card. Hope you dont have to pay back. Internet is never secure no matter what you do to protect. I never tend to use credit cards online and even if i do then, with the min amount in it. Its always safer. Forget about CC....damn some of my friends hack the hotmail in such a sneaky way that we wont even know we were hacked....and the same password will still work. : )

Edited by MatrixRose

damn some of my friends hack the hotmail in such a sneaky way that we wont even know we were hacked....and the same password will still work. : )

And i hope they are intelligent enough not to teach such things to everyone including you. A wise man enjoys and doesnt talk about things which has especially to do with security, unless for a good cause. Hope they know it.

Edited by prem charo

damn some of my friends hack the hotmail in such a sneaky way that we wont even know we were hacked....and the same password will still work. : )

And i hope they are intelligent enough not to teach such things to everyone including you. A wise man enjoys and doesnt talk about things which has especially to do with security, unless for a good cause. Hope they know it.

Hey,

Its better not to learn such things. Otherwise you will be landed inside the jail.

Cheers,

Rema

this is wat i was loooking for.. an informative discussion going on.. carry on lads.. i miss all those wnso mileage heros.. welcome back. dudes...