3 replies to this topic

#1 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

It seems cricket is on its peak this month. For the Nepalese cricket lover, there's a good news. Nepal beats Hongkong in the 3 days ACC PRIMIERE LEAGUE cricket match yesterday in Kathmandu. This is Nepal maiden victory over Hongkong in 3 day version of the game. A couple of months ago, Nepal achieved the historic first win over Hongkong in the one day match as well. Our cricket is climbing the success ladder, one step to another. Let's encourage our warriors.

We will be discussing more on Nepalese Cricket on the next topics. The hottest topic for me is the greatest cricekting event of the year, Champions Trophy 2006. Let's talk about the participants.

1) Bangladesh & Zimbabwe- These teams are out of the tournament. They could not resist the challenges given by more experienced sides. We saw the downfall of Zimbabwe cricket. The political interference has ruined the "not so easily beaten" team of the past. I don't think it was wise effort to play this minnow team in the tournament.
Bangladesh, on the other hand, had something to cherish about. It is getting better and better, and the fighting spirit has been improved. Bad luck, it can't make to the next round...but there is still a hope for the better performance in the World Cup 2007.

2) Srilanka & West Indies- Srilanka performed well, winning all the three matches of the qualifying round. Though victory was against low ranking sides, but it will boost their level of confidence in the real matches. Tharanga seems to be in great form, so is Mahroof. However, Muralitharan seems to be losing his grip from the ball. Srilanka is definitely looking forward to winning the tournament.
West Indies won against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and lost to Srilanka. So, there is not much to cherish about. The real test is ahead and it should behave as a team in order to rise in this tournament.

3) India- India got the home advantage and some key players on the hand. Sachin Tendulkar is probably back to form, but Rahul Dravid and Virendra Sehwag have shaky hands for the moment. They need to come back to form as soon as possible. The bowling department sounds strong. Pace bowling is in the hand of Pathan, Patel and Agarkar. Spin department will be handled by Harbhajan and Ramesh Powar. The first win over England obviously provided them clear hope of winning.

4) England- Despite first loss, England chance can never be ignored. They have good team selection and I don't underestimate them at any cost.

5) Pakistan and Newzealand - Right now, I don't have anything special to comment on these teams. They haven't played real cricket for a long time now. However, both sides are fighters and are the prospective winner of the trophy. [ Note: Cricinfo.com reveals that Pace sensation Akhtar and another bowler Asif failed drug test and will be sent back home. So, that's a demerit for Pakistani's cricket]

6) South Africa- What to say about this team? After being affected by Matchfixing scandal way back in 2000-2001, this team has been struggling to stand back to the position it was before. For the current situation, I think Protreas is the only one who can challenge Kangaroos. Remember, 400+ chase win prior this year. It was astonishing and we can't say history won't repeat itself. So, watch out Australia.

7) Australia- Watever I say before, my team of the tournament will be Australia. It's not that I am the biggest fan of Aussies, but I can't see any other team standing near to it. This is the well balanced side, mixture of yound and old, energetic and exprience, risktakers and anchor role players. However, I wish some other team wins the tournament for the good will of cricket.

Who do you think will be the last man standing? Speak your words.

For latest views and analysis on cricket, Visit: http://www.cosmiccricket.com

#2 BalayarCB

BalayarCB

Chautari Board / ICC

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:19 AM

Pakistan can still be DARK horse, capricious winner if the day of Afridi or Malik came.

But, it looks that Australia are no. 1 favorite as always which is sometimes boring for me and for the game too.

#3 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

Indeed Australia seems to be number one, but cricket is the game of unexpectation. Yesterday, South Africa was beaten up by Newzealand..that's what if not a surprise, then also not the one we usually expect. This tournament is being played in Indian sub-continent and the history shows that Australian performance is not very impressive in this part of region. I believe there is an equal opportunity for an asian country to win this tournament. My favourite is Pakistan.

Edited by love_united, 17 October 2006 - 01:19 PM.

For latest views and analysis on cricket, Visit: http://www.cosmiccricket.com

#4 newapasa

newapasa

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:55 PM

There they register their first win. Pakistan backed into the corner by the late withdrawal of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, Pakistan showed incredible self-belief and no little skill to pull off a splendid four-wicket victory over Sri Lanka in the first high-quality match of this Champions Trophy.
Thanks to sensational allround performances from Abdul Razzaq and Shoaib Malik.
Let's hope they keep their stamina alive.
Here, BOOM-BOOM Afridi failed again to entertain the spectators. 1 run in 10 ball and OUT!!
Let's hope he'll entertain us in another match.
-np
Thought is free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users