#1 Yadav

Yadav

Unifying Nepalese for Better Education

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Engineering Education In Nepal

Engineering education is the theoretical as well as practical one. It plays crucial role in most developed as well as developing country like Nepal. Engineer are the expert professionals acquired both theoretical and practical knowledge. In this present era of technology based economy, we can not imagine overall development of physical development in the absence of such manpower. Genuinely speaking socio- economic and other development remain unfruitful where there is no extreme achievement of Science and Technology. It is essential to follow up the current way of professional and practical education. Lack of geographical accessibility, economic status , socio-educational awareness ,this sector is not flourished.

Technical education was introduced formally in Nepal with ‘Civil Sub- overseer ’ program in 1942 ,when the Technical training school was established. In 1959, ‘ Nepal Engineering Institute’ with the assistance from the government of India , launched civil Engineering overseer program later it was evolved as Diploma in civil Engineering. With German assistance, Program in General mechanics ,Auto- mechanics, Electrical Engineering and mechanical drafting were conducted in 1965,when ‘Technical Training Institute’ was established. In addition to civil program ,Nepal Engineering Institute began go through with training in electrical program of same level in 1971. Thus, such glorious history of Engineering education was finally managed and institutionalized under the provision of “Tribhuvan University in 1972,under the name of institute of Engineering with the following objectives :

a)To offer various types of trainings ,sponsored courses , conducting problem oriented research and provide engineering consultancy services.

cool.gif To perform various research and development works so as to strengthen the national engineering capability and solve engineering problems aiming in the upliftment of technical potentiality.

c)As per the national need , to promote the well –skilled Engineer of upper and lower class.

Engineering Programs in Nepal

Institute of Engineering of Tribhuvan University, inspite of being an oldest governmental campus, many private colleges are conducted with its affiliation . Beside Tribhuvan University ,Kathmandu University , Purbanchal University ,Pokhara University are strongly devoted to upliftment of Engineering education . But, Unfortunately students coming from low economic background are obliged to study in IOE of TU only. Because of such flourishing private Engineering colleges ,huge amount of money afforded within here ,not in abroad but they don’t represent the poor and deserving students and they have not any package of relief. Many private colleges including pulchock full pay (IOE,TU) cost near about 2.5 lakh to 4.5 lakh which seems some how unaffordable . Because of mushroom growth of such colleges ,it’s almost impossible to get students as per their demand. In the other hand , It is thought that quality education is in risk in the name of competition.

The following Engineering colleges /Institutions have been established to conduct the courses in the faculties as mentioned below :

A)Tribhuvan University

I) Bachelor of Engineering /B.arch Program.

Campus

IOE,Pulchock

BE-Civil
B.Arc
BE-Computer
BE-Electrical
BE-Mechanical
BE-Electronics

WRC,Pokhara

BE Civil
BE Electronics & communication

ERC,Dharan

BE Civil
BE Agriculture

Thapathali campus

BE Industrial

II) Master level program in Pulchock campus. (IOE) ,TU

Programs
Urban Planning
Information and communication
Structural Engg.
Power system Engg.
Environmental Engg.
Water resource Engg.
Geo-Technical Engg.
Renewal Energy Engg.

B)Tribhuvan University affiliated Engineering colleges

Kantipur Engg. College BE-Civil,Computer ,Electronics
Kathmandu Engg. College BE-Civil,Computer ,Electronics and B-Arc
Adavance Engg. College BE-Civil,Computer ,Electronics
Himalayan Engg. College BE-Computer ,Electronics
National Engg. College BE-Computer ,Electronics
Janakpur Engg. college BE-Computer ,Electronics
Kathford college of Engineering BE-Computer ,Electronics

c)Kathmandu University

Program offered
BE- computer
BE-Electronics
BE-Mechanical
BE-Electrical
ME-Mechanical
ME-Electrical power
M-Tech IT
MS-By Research

D)Purbanchal University

Name of colleges
Kantipur city college BE-computer,civil,Electronics

Acme Engg. College
BE-computer,civil,Electronic
B.Arch
MSc –Engineering management and Information system Engineering

Himalayan Whitehouse Int. college BE-computer,IT, Electronics & communication
College of Information and technology BE-computer,IT,Electronics
College of Biomedical Engineering BE-Biomedical ,Electronics & Communication
Eastern college of Engineering BE-computer,civil,Electronics
Khowpa Engg. college BE-computer,civil,Electronics
B.Arch.
MSc-Earthquaqe Engg. & Urban Design & conservation

Himalayan Institute of Science & Technology(HIST) BE-Civil,Electronics

E) Pokhara University
Name of colleges
Nepal Engg. College BE-IT,computer,Electronics,Civil,Electrical
B-Arch.
MSc- Construction Management,Natural Resource management, Communication Engineering(Proposed),Disaster management(Proposed),Geotechnical Material Engineering(Proposed)

Nepal college of Information and Technology BE-computer,Electronics ,Software, IT
Msc-Computer
Apex college BE-computer, Electronics
Pokhara Engg college BE-computer, Electronics &Civil
Cosmos Engg. College BE-computer, Electronics,IT
Lumbini Engg. College BE-computer, Electronics
Everest Engg. College BE-computer, Electronics,IT
National academy of science and Technology BE-computer, Electronics

Conclusion :
To make the Engineering Profession effective and also to register the engineer as per their qualification “Nepal Engineering council” has been formed on 2055 BS.The major responsibilities of the Nepal Engineering council are :

• Making policies, plans and programs for the smooth functioning of the engineering profession and to execute them .
• To set norms and standards for Engineering education in Nepal.
• To grant permission and approval to carryout Engg. education to those Engineering Colleges and Institutions that meet the required norms and standard and to honor their degree and certificate .
• To monitor and Inspect the quality of Engineering education provided by the engineering college and institutions.
• To fix the qualification necessary in order to practice engineering profession and to register their name in the engineering council and to remove their name from registration of the engineering council if found violate the code of conduct.
As mentioned in their objective ,they need more responsibly ,accountability in the supervision of Engineering college so that college without good infrastructure, which can not provide quality education ,must be in strict control. Tiny negligence should not lead remarkable damage. We will realize quality Engg. Education would be hovering everywhere in Nepal.
Furthermore, Universities must evaluate college whether there is the minimum requirement of good infrastructure or not before affiliation. Such requirement should be determined by Engineering council (NEC) and the Government.
After getting the affiliation with University, The Nepal Engineering council should provide affiliation and approval to carry out engineering education to those colleges and institutions that meet the required norms and standards.
Only then quality education gets its possible space ,otherwise not only this particular Engineering sector but also other educational sectors becomes colourful “Pittal” without golden Existence.

References:

1) Profile issued by Institute of Engineering , Tribhuvan University, to students with entrance form.
2) Nepal engineering council, Introduction bulletin 2005.
3) http://www.ioe.edu.np
4) http://www.ku.edu.np
5) http://www.pu.edu.np
6) http://www.purbuniv.edu.np
7) Various websites of colleges and institutions.

Edited by Yadav, 16 September 2008 - 08:19 AM.

#2 newapasa

newapasa

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

Very informative one. Thanks.
Thought is free.

#3 chamatkaribaba

chamatkaribaba

ICC Member

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

Very Good information. I hope more will come from you and other members.
Theft!
Theft!
And Theft!
No one is safe anywhere,
Thieves are rampant everywhere
Light is stolen,
Dreams are stolen,
Faith is stolen,
Mud is stolen,
Love is stolen,
Life and death are stolen
Alas! What can you expect from others,
When God himself is a thief?
In "Indra Jatra" by Dinesh Adhikary, Sajha Prakashan, 2051 B.S

#4 Bhishma

Bhishma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:38 AM

Thank you Yadav jee....

Very informative article....

An innovative effort has been paid all WNSO - members ..in writting posts .....which is an encouraging step. It will promote the academic activities as well as help the students . I wish all the best to all of u for more such kind of work in the days ahead.

#5 insanerahul

insanerahul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:47 AM

Hello everybody.....
I am a student of BE in a private college in kathmandu .I came to know that my college is not recognised with Nepel Engineering Council permanently .Does it take any problem ? Do u hav any idea about it? I hope I will get lot of help from wnso members.
thank you .
insane rahul
Kathmandu

#6 Yadav

Yadav

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(insanerahul @ Apr 23 2007, 10:17 AM) View Post
Hello everybody.....
I am a student of BE in a private college in kathmandu .I came to know that my college is not recognised with Nepel Engineering Council permanently .Does it take any problem ? Do u hav any idea about it? I hope I will get lot of help from wnso members.
thank you .
insane rahul
Kathmandu

insane jee visit Nepal Engineering council website

http://www.nec.gov.np/

#7 Yadav

Yadav

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(insanerahul @ Apr 23 2007, 10:17 AM) View Post
Hello everybody.....
thank you .
insane rahul
Kathmandu

Insane jee
It is important to know whether the college you are studying is recognised by Nepal Engineering council (NEC)...NEC will not be obliged to give you registration after the complition of your study if ur college is not recognised .
I have also heared that many private colleges in Nepal are sti ll not recognised by Nepal Engineering council.
plz note that Nepal Engineering council does not issue permanent affiliation to the newly born private colleges , But i am not sure about it ..If I found any further information ,I will let you know.
A list of Engineering colleges recognised by NEC is available at office of council or visit council website..
http://www.nec.gov.np/

#8 Yadav

Yadav

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

Nepal Engineers’ Association (NEA)

#9 rema

rema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

Hey,

I am studying Medical IT. Do I need to register to Nepal Eng. Council when I complete my Bachelor's degree?

Cheers,
Rema

#10 Yadav

Yadav

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(rema @ Jul 17 2007, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am studying Medical IT. Do I need to register to Nepal Eng. Council when I complete my Bachelor's degree?
Rema

Reema jee,I don't think you need to register to Nepal Engg. Council when you complete your bacheor's degree in Medical IT.Nepal Engineering council” has been formed to make the Engineering Profession effective and also to register the engineers as per their qualification .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users