• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (love_united @ Aug 13 2003, 07:30 AM)
I am looking for the informations by cyprus members of wnso.

Cyprus members are in holiday (working full-time) so they won't be coming in the forum that much. May you should send e-mail to Avee or anyone of them from Cyprus.
regards
Himal Rai

#32 maanav

maanav

i love to be hatred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 06:49 PM

Dear Love United,
I have a friend in Cyprus and as far as I know, you cannot work except in vacation. Guys are hoping that the regulations will change once Cyprus joins European Union. But you can never know. Besides going at this time of the year, immediately after the vacation will mean that you will have to have enough money for the whole of 1st year.
Its upto you to make the final decision, but as far as I can tell this is not the right time to go to cyprus and furthermore, a work permit during your first year is not guareented. I am sure members from cyprus could have made better suggestions but as Himalji said all of them are working hard to make enough for the next year.
Best of luck.
i love to be loved by every one

#33 ClickButt

ClickButt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:20 PM

Well I can't help to notice this thread of whatabout of studying in Cyprus. I don't know where are you now LoveUnited but wherever you are I wish you all the best. Let me introduce myself. I pride myself to be in Cyprus as one of the very first Nepali students and at that point I had chosen Cyprus by myself and not by any agent who promised me the visa on arrival. I was there in Cyprus College during the year 1996- 1993 doing my Bachelor in Computer science. And those three years has taught me a lot. We are all nepalese here, so I really don't need to tell all of you guys why actually we try to get out of nepal. We want to be independant, we want to live our lives by ourselves and for some of us we still want to help our parents living in Nepal by any financial means. I stayed there three and half years and I finished my undergraduation being dependant on my family back home. At that time I was supposed to pay Cyprus Pounds 125 for a credit and as the bitch the regulation is I had to take atleast 15 credits each semster. You can hit the keyboard so you can do the maths yourself how much money I was getting from home each semseter for whole 3 years.

Cyprus is a good place if you have money. You can rent a car as cheap as 20 pounds a day ( 1999) , can go all over Cyprus in less than 48 hours but there still are meny consequences. Which college these aganets represent in Nepal ? Americanos ????? We nepali people think Americanos College as some sort of college being associate with AMERICA , where you don't need any visa to study. But hey did anyone tell you that Americanos is actually the family name of a rich corrupted Cypriot family who made their fortune by selling dreams and hopes of thousands of South Asian / East European / Chinese students ??? Will you be surprised if you find yourself at the so called American college which is not any better than the language institute in Bagbazaar ? There used to be two colleges like that in Eleftheria Square but I have forgotten the name of other.

I have no idea about intercollege. I know that it is also expensive and recognized but have no clue about the students doing their so called 'summer jobs' there. YOU CAN'T WORK IN CYPRUS if you have student visa. You are supposed to bring money from home and pay to the family like Americanos who invest it proudly in other business like topless clubs and cabarets. I have no idea about the guys doing their hotel management in other established colleges. They say that they can get the 'practise' sessions in some 5 star hotels, but I had found many of them working in Mcdonalds or other Greek Tavern in Limmasol or Paphos.

At this point I also need to tell you that Cyproits are ******* racist. If you are not from Europe then you are Mavros.. which means Black. And almost all business are owned by Greek Cypriots so imagine yourself working with these people if you are lucky enough to get a 'job'.

During my stay there I had seen a flood of nepali student pouring there. Some of them couldn't stay for even 1 week. Some of them stayed there but soon started to concentrate more on illegal jobs rather than their studies. Some of them got deported , YES immigration is tough. But there still are some students whi actually made it through to better places like UK or US and these are the people who had help from their home.

The thing about when Cyprus will join EU , the things will get better is completely bullshit. Even if you are in Germany you need a visa to go to UK . Cypriot people, from a long time ago didn't need any visa to travel throughout Europe and it won't make any difference to them. The ironic part is Cyprus is an island, you just can't drive into other country. You need to fly and you need to produce your paper and the bastards they are they sure are going to make problems for the citizens who are not EU or who don't have any sufficient fund or reasons to vist another EU country.

#34 allare

allare

Honourable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 01:55 PM

ClickButt bro,

overall, cyprus janu bekar ho teso bhaye ? WNSO ma euta polling garnu parla jasto chha,

Which is best destination for higher study? bhaner.

#35 santos

santos

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 02:35 PM

Mero vote ta India lai nai jancha, tara bina Indian embassyko letter.

Maile Indiama ahile samma padheko chaina hai, partiality kehi pani chaina.

Reasons:
-Sasto
-Visako jhanjhat nahune
-Ramro universityma gayo bhane worldwide recognition pani ta chha ni
-Tradition milne (Dasin ra Tiharma attendence sheetma absent nadekhine)

Sayad aru dherai reason pani holan tara ahile mero dimagma tyeti matrai ayo.

#36 ClickButt

ClickButt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:18 PM

My vote will go to India too. If you are keen for better education, then go to India. Atleast you will be able to finish your education in time.

Talking about Cyprus again beside three private colleges, all other private colleges and institutes are crap. And these three are expensive. Beside these if you want to go for Forestry, there is one very good government college for it. I don't know about the tuition fees there but I assume it must be free. I had a Nepalese friend studying there in scholarship, even getting his pocket money and travel expenditure from the college. There is also one technical college for adults, that means if you are above 25-26 , you can get admission there and study there as cheap as 300 CYP for a semester, and it is 6 months semester. If I will get a link then I will post it here.

During my student life and during the employment period , I have realized that there are many places in Europe where you can study. It takes time but eventually you will be able to get it. Education in Europe is free, no matter where you are from. And above that you can fight for scholarship having the previlage from being a developing country like Nepal. Yes ofcourse there are few private colleges and universties here and their agents back home, but I strongly suggest to find government college by yourself. Do your own correspondence and things will be more easier and better.

My first vote will go to Germany > wide selection of universities and college. The need of learning the language will help in the future. And chances are 75% in your favour to get admission. Free education and you are allowed to work.
Beside Germany I will also vote for Holland, Sweden and Norway. Norway gives you a lot of scholarship to choose from. You can get all the information from Norwegian embassy in Kathmandu. I work here in Norway and I know how good the conditions are here if you are a student smile.gif

#37 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:37 AM

Thanks CLICKBUTT for your participation and information you provided.

After reading your first reply... Studying in Cyprus more or less sounds like studying in Singapore but tution fee and most of the things are expensive in Singapore.

During my student life in Singapore... I noticed the same thing you explain, a lot of Nepali came for study but some of them returned home because could not afford and could not even support themselve by any means. Students are not allowed to work. If found they used to deport but later changed the rules to let the student stay till he/she finishes that year's exam, then ask to leave Singapore.
Those who were cheated by Agencies were forced to stay illegal and work illegal.

regards
Himal Rai

#38 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 03:52 PM

Hello ClickButt,
i really enjoyed reading ur comment. Atleast now i know a thing or two about Cyprus. The section u mentioned about greeks and their attitude is quite interesting. I did not know the country is literally divided in two and one part is owned by Greeks.
so are u in Norway now? do u work as a programmer there? ( i noticed u mentioned u completed a degree in CS). How is Norway as long as IT industry is concerned?
:)

#39 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:03 PM

By the way , my first vote goes to either Germany or one of the Western European countries, only one obstacle is language, but it is always nice to learn and be multilingual.
Second vote goes to US. I think it is very easy to survive here in US. If u r smart, everything goes smooth for u. I managed to finish my degree without any obstruction.
:)

#40 ClickButt

ClickButt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 07:55 AM

How is Norway as long as IT industry is concerned?

Norway is a country with about 6 million population so you can imagine the market is small. And also because of the high taxes and strong unions there aren't a lot of local IT companies based here. They depend highly upon the companies based in Sweden or Germany. So the best way is to find a job in multinational companies like IBM, Siemens or Bosch and work here in their regional branch. For the local companies I don't think there are many chances to find a job and to get a work permit. The very popular way to find a job in Norway is to come here as a student for short courses like language or training , and during that period find a work and then stay here with work permit. You need a company to back you up and you are allowed to work only for that company. Every year you need to renew your permit, BUT after 3 years you will be granted the permanent residence permit, that means you are free to do anything. It's like getting a Greencard in US. So it is all not that bad. Get the more information from here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users