• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nick

nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:17 AM

hi every one.... well actually i have a serious problem.... last time i purchased linux red hat OS and installed it in my computer... before that i had already windows xp installed in the computer.... And when i installed linux redhat i had to partition the hard drive... i think with the GRUB ... i had never used it before ... but i managed to install the redhat in my computer with winXP also in it.... but then i had a problem... I have a 40 GB hard drive ... but with linux installed winXP only showed my c: drive with 20GB and the rest 20GB was gone... i guess it was because linux used another file system... not the FAT or RAW as in windows i guess.... but then every thing was fine ...i had both windows and redhat in my computer .... except i never used redhat.... i guess my excitement with Cprogramming in redhat was over by then for which i installed redhat.... so i only used winXP... but then i had only 20GB to use ... so i tried to undo the whole redhat thing... but i couldn't and last time i tried to do that using the GRUB.. or i dont know what was that... i dont know how to use it ... but when i tried to undo linux redhat(uninstall)... my whole hard drive was formatted... i think i had marked the format thing in the linux partitioning program... well and i think my whole hard drive got formatted.... coz the winXP is no longer there.... and i dont know how to use linux as well so i guess my whole data in winXP is gone.. and i am pissed off with linux .... actually i installed redhat at the first place because i read all those programming stuff and the whole free software and all from wnso... and i was excited about it and wanted to try it out... and now .... "maa taa tath paltyee yar..." so guys help me out... i had work to do in my windowsXP... sad.gif .... So what i want is that u guys and gals help me out with the partitioning thing and tell me how can i install my XP back and throw away that linux... when i used the partitioning thing in linux... the GRUB thing i guess... it showed two partitions of my harddrive one with swap file system and one with exe3 and i guessed that the swap system is for windows... but the bad thing is that it doesn't allow all the harddrive to be formatted in swap system... i dont know what the hell is going man... please help me out... any one... i am desperate....

#2 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

Advanced Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

Don't be desperate, nothing has happened. What you do is re-install Windows XP, without formatting hard drive, You will see all your little files in C Drive. Files oir folder might be replaces between the folders inside the C Drive but still data is there.

Linux uses ext2 file system, If you want to see windows from Linux goto /etc/fstab (reference for the next time). Once you recover the data from XP, use partition Magic to partition your hard drive and install red hat linux in that partition,

you will be safe.

#3 nick

nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Limitation//Moon @ Oct 30 2005, 07:55 AM) View Post

Don't be desperate, nothing has happened. What you do is re-install Windows XP, without formatting hard drive, You will see all your little files in C Drive. Files oir folder might be replaces between the folders inside the C Drive but still data is there.

Linux uses ext2 file system, If you want to see windows from Linux goto /etc/fstab (reference for the next time). Once you recover the data from XP, use partition Magic to partition your hard drive and install red hat linux in that partition,

you will be safe.

thanx Moon... but how to reinstall windows XP without formatting... please tell me.... when i boot DOS through floppy it shows no c: or D: drive... and i dont know how to install windows XP from dos... please help me out ..... i would be greatful...

#4 barsa

barsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

Instaling Windows is as simple as installing softwares. Boot from Window CD and start your journey.
Technology Department

#5 linuxaddict

linuxaddict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:45 AM

Biradar Linux is really cool for pragramming. You can join on these free Linux lession, so you can understand about linux and its important:
1. Getting Started with Linux - Beginner's Course
http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html

2.Intermediate Level Linux Course
http://www.linux.org...term/index.html

SoMe pEoPle HaVe ToLd Me tHEy Don'T thINk a fAt pEnGuIn rEAllY EmbODies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.

#6 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:42 AM

For re-installing WinXP without formating. As Barsa said above, Boot your computer from Winows XP CD, it has two phase of installation text mode and graphic mode. The first is text mode, Formatting is the last phase of text mode, before that,, you wil see this

IPB Image

At the above picture you will see two option in your screen, while there is only one cause it's fresh installation. Most importantly, Install XP in Windows partition, Not in Linux partition sice you have said you partioned it.

then formatting option will come, just skip it. You are done

Edited by Limitation//Moon, 31 October 2005 - 04:45 AM.

#7 nick

nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:48 AM

well linuxaddict ji.... i thought that too and thinking that i installed redhat..... but i got into unnecessary trouble.... but still i am interested in programming and i am trying out C... I bought a book as well.. a big one and read it for few weeks but after that my interest started fading away.... and what i dont like while reading the book is ... there is every thing in it all the parts in C are explained very well .. the variables, pointers, constants etc..etc... but i dont get the concept of programming.. all those power of C programming.. its potential... etc etc i read ... where is that all ... i haven't found it in that book ..... all it says is what is constant, what is variable, what is pointer, what are statments... etc etc...

#8 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:53 AM

Nick you have just bought the book don't expect too much even before you start, You know the mystery of C programming ?

here is it ...after two or three years of learning C/C++ programming you will be called newbie wink.gif

#9 nick

nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:02 AM

thanx barsa ji and "limitation//moon" i will try that out and if any problem arise i will come back... hope u dont mind...

hey "limitation moon" ji i think u r online right now.... coz ur message was posted just now... is there any way we can chat or instant message in here...now....

"limitation moon" ji .. i think u r online right now... u just posted a message right now... is there any way we can chat or instant message in here ... now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users