• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 ram dotyal

ram dotyal

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

I, myself couldn't get any clue..that's why I am requesting to you all that why the DV is most popular among Nepalese (except me) mad.gif
"Some goals are so worthy it's glorious even to fail"

#12 rema

rema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE(ram dotyal @ Jul 27 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I, myself couldn't get any clue..that's why I am requesting to you all that why the DV is most popular among Nepalese (except me) mad.gif

Hey Ram,

Why are you so angry, dude? I could not get you. ohmy.gif huh.gif wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Rema

#13 ram dotyal

ram dotyal

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(rema @ Jul 31 2007, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Ram,

Why are you so angry, dude? I could not get you. ohmy.gif huh.gif wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Rema

Rema Jee !!

I really don't like this DV. Aarthik avasthaa kamajor bhaekaa haruko laagee yo Theek chha somehow kinaki they can earn and build something but what I saw in Nepal is, everyone running for this Lottery. People who are in good position they are also hanging on this.

Saath maa bhaeko 10-12 Lakh Rupaiya liera America gaee tyahaa kehee garne kuraa sochnuko saTTaa tyahee rakam le aaphnai desh maa kehee garna sakinna ra bhanyaa?

In my opinion, DV is being a Domestic Voilence in Nepal instead of advantage Lottery.

No offense to anyone, please !!
"Some goals are so worthy it's glorious even to fail"

#14 Pokhrel

Pokhrel

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

It is a very interesting piece of information based on DV Lottery. I am one of them influenced by DV lottery. I applied 2-3 times and always waited for letter to come from state department but what to do luck never brought it. I am planning to apply this year too. I always thought DV worth as it gives a bunch of opportunity.

After reading through article in depth, I realise that the sample which author had chosen to write this piece of work might not have consisted from broad range of population. I am sure that, there must be some DV winner Nepalese came to US having decent job and doing quite well. I certainly agree with the author these may fall in minority but still there are so many opportunities DV provides. Itís up to the capability of each individual to utilise those opportunities to achieve own objectives/goals.

It is absolutely great having decent job and good life in own country rather than moving abroad but it is again not possible for everyone. Therefore, heading towards foreign country may not be a fun always; it can be a compulsion to achieve some objectives/goals which may be fruitful for long term. Initially, it is quite hard to adapt due to several reasons such as culture, financial matters, work etc. Gradually, things get settled down.

I can still remember working full time and studying full time (had no choice as I had to manage university tuition fees £7000 per year plus other expenses). Sometimes, I slept 2-3 hours only in a night. What to do, it was for few years until finishing study. Now, I am fine working just normal hours. I would imagine I would not have to have such hard time if I would have won the DV lottery 3 year ago he he he.

Thank you

#15 yogesh

yogesh

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(Pokhrel @ Oct 6 2007, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a very interesting piece of information based on DV Lottery. I am one of them influenced by DV lottery. I applied 2-3 times and always waited for letter to come from state department but what to do luck never brought it. I am planning to apply this year too. I always thought DV worth as it gives a bunch of opportunity.

After reading through article in depth, I realise that the sample which author had chosen to write this piece of work might not have consisted from broad range of population. I am sure that, there must be some DV winner Nepalese came to US having decent job and doing quite well. I certainly agree with the author these may fall in minority but still there are so many opportunities DV provides. Itís up to the capability of each individual to utilise those opportunities to achieve own objectives/goals.

It is absolutely great having decent job and good life in own country rather than moving abroad but it is again not possible for everyone. Therefore, heading towards foreign country may not be a fun always; it can be a compulsion to achieve some objectives/goals which may be fruitful for long term. Initially, it is quite hard to adapt due to several reasons such as culture, financial matters, work etc. Gradually, things get settled down.

I can still remember working full time and studying full time (had no choice as I had to manage university tuition fees £7000 per year plus other expenses). Sometimes, I slept 2-3 hours only in a night. What to do, it was for few years until finishing study. Now, I am fine working just normal hours. I would imagine I would not have to have such hard time if I would have won the DV lottery 3 year ago he he he.

Thank you

Pokharel jee, I don't think, you would have finished this degree if you been DV winner before 2/3 year. I have couple of friends who won DV before 5 years and working to collect money to join University in US. Do you know Nepalese Proverb "BHYAKUTTA KO DHARNI PURYAUNE". I am not saying DV is bad but do not keep high hope on that.
God is that indefinable something which we all feel but which we do not know. To me God is Truth and Love, ethics and morality. Even the atheism of the atheist is god. From Gandhi Speaks.

#16 Pokhrel

Pokhrel

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for your comments Yogesh jee.

I had an impression that DV winner will have an access to education free of charge or if chargeable than definitely could be nominal as home students. Isnít it true? Do DV winner still have to pay for university fees?

Having that impression in mind, I was always influenced by DV lottery as fees for international students are exorbitant here in the UK and USA too. Although, I have completed degree, I thought of availing such opportunity for further studies in US if I win DV lottery.

Edited by Pokhrel, 07 October 2007 - 11:15 AM.

Thank you,

Yours truly

#17 chamatkaribaba

chamatkaribaba

ICC Member

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

I have no clue about any immediate and even remote benefits from DV but it still is very fascinating for me. I have applied twice and again thinking to apply this year as well. Let me test my Luck!!
Theft!
Theft!
And Theft!
No one is safe anywhere,
Thieves are rampant everywhere
Light is stolen,
Dreams are stolen,
Faith is stolen,
Mud is stolen,
Love is stolen,
Life and death are stolen
Alas! What can you expect from others,
When God himself is a thief?
In "Indra Jatra" by Dinesh Adhikary, Sajha Prakashan, 2051 B.S

#18 BS

BS

General Secretary - WNSO International Co-ordination Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

Financial benefits are huge. You will earn a lot more than what you would earn with same amount of time and resources. Living condition can be enhanced. You can easily get things that were very difficult in life to achieve. But there are hind sight as well as in any place. But we should always opt for best. I do not have DV either and wish to have one smile.gif

#19 yogesh

yogesh

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Pokhrel @ Oct 7 2007, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your comments Yogesh jee.

I had an impression that DV winner will have an access to education free of charge or if chargeable than definitely could be nominal as home students. Isnít it true? Do DV winner still have to pay for university fees?

Having that impression in mind, I was always influenced by DV lottery as fees for international students are exorbitant here in the UK and USA too. Although, I have completed degree, I thought of availing such opportunity for further studies in US if I win DV lottery.

I don't think American do have home and Overseas fee difefrences. My friend who won DV says that they have to pay good amount to go to do a course they want to do. So most of them ended up working in gas station (Petrol Pump in UK language). Also says they will go to University after collecting money. Some joined Uni. with a Loan from Bank but wasn't student loan as I am told.

probably there are other financial benfits. I am not aware of. Just what I have heard from my DV winners
God is that indefinable something which we all feel but which we do not know. To me God is Truth and Love, ethics and morality. Even the atheism of the atheist is god. From Gandhi Speaks.

#20 BS

BS

General Secretary - WNSO International Co-ordination Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

two fee schemes this way:
State resident usually x $
out of state residents - usually 2x - 4x $ (this applies to international studetns). to obtain instate tuition fee you have to show a proof tha tyou have lived and worked in that state (for about 2 years). As an example of wvu.edu, instate fee is about 6000 a year and for international/out of state fee is about 13000. In some universities in Minnesota state, Nepalese and other international studetns get instate tuition fee (significantly lower). There are several kind of loans and grants for non international studetns as well. I am not sure if this applies to Permanent Residents or not. You can simply write an email to University Administration/records services and they have an advisor to answer specific questions. Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users