12 replies to this topic

#1 jhilke

jhilke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:11 PM

Guys,
I need help. I have a network card and downloaded the driver which is .tar.gz file

I found this instructions on the net
After downloading, you should have a single file called <filename>.tar.gz
Copy it to the Linux machine where it is to be installed. You can put the file anywhere on disk.

Uncompress the file with the command gunzip <filename>.tar.gz
Extract the files from the tar archive with the command tar xvf <filename>.tar

Those steps I followed but know how to contiue?
how do I install the device driver?
How do I know if it is install ?

I found some tips on the net saying
./configure
make
make install
but I can't even run this command while I am in that directory where those files are extracted.

#2 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 02:14 PM

usually in linux machine, u load the driver module by doing insmod <modulename> however, u are installing already built ( ready to go) driver,,,so simply following the instructions ( of installing that particular driver) should work.
Just following the instructions.
Once u are done, u should be fine.
To check your NIC if it is working or not, I believe the device name for card is eth0 ( default), so execute this command from the shell
netconfig --device=eth0
Or alternately there are visual tools like File Manager or Network Manager, use them. By the way, what distribution of Linux are u using?

The reason u can not run make , make install commands because make is a file ( which stores how to execute the program with such and such parameters), obviously there are no make file in the directory where u are running make. Just follow the instructions on the driver.
Just for your info, in order to run any exe from anywhere, u have to store the path of the exe in environment variables.
Hope this helps.later

:)

#3 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:25 PM

hey jhilke...let me elaborate when i told u 'follow the instructions',...
use pkunzip to unzip .zip file
then use tar -xvf on tar file
then u will see bunch of file like config install etc...
config is an executable , run config with ./config
now comes make
make is actually a tool that controls the generatioon of executables........so on
do search on your system if u already have make utility..
if not download one form Web( i am sure there is one.try www.linux.org)
also the linux CD vol2 might have it also
after make is installed in your system
do make install
that is all:)

.........................LINUX RULEZ!!!........................................................

#4 jhilke

jhilke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (rs_1915 @ Mar 6 2003, 02:14 PM)
usually in linux machine, u load the driver module by doing insmod <modulename> however, u are installing already built ( ready to go) driver,,,so simply following the instructions ( of installing that particular driver) should work.
Just following the instructions.
Once u are done, u should be fine. 
To check your NIC if it is working or not, I believe the device name for card is eth0 ( default), so execute this command from  the shell
netconfig --device=eth0

I did this
First gunzip filename.tar.gz
tar -xzvf filenmae.tar

and as you said
netconfig

I am able to ping other computer in my network.

Thanks for your help. I am using Red Hat.

Is there a way we can setup Linux server to communicate with Windows 2000 Server using NetBOIS name Where I want Windows 2000 to be my primary DNS server?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jhilke, 06 March 2003 - 07:32 PM.

#5 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 02:32 AM

jhilke.......I should say it is possible. Network is supposed to work with different kinds of platforms, unix, linux,,,windows,,mac,,,etc..........( as long as each node in the network has unique (internal) IP address). But why dont u use TCP/IP?

Read the following comments by this guy who has his network setup similar to one u are thinking.......

The way I have mine set up is easy: I have a crappy computer running Linux(crappy means pentium overdrive @86MHz with 32MB ram). I assign 2 addresses to the Linux box--the first is the IP I get from the cable company (through DHCP). The second is an internal, private network number (in my case, 192.168.0.1). The NIC has 2 IPs--one external, one internal. I also have a Windows 2000 box, which is my good computer, with a network address of 192.168.0.2 (again, internal). I set the default gateway as 192.168.0.1, the Linux box. What allows the Windows 2000 box to receive packets from the outside world is IP forwarding, and its documentation can be found at www.linux-doc.org. All packets come through the Linux box first, and some are filtered out, according to my firewall rules. I hope that's a good explanation, if anyone was interested in going down this path, send me an email, I'd be glad to help.
By: rob <r0b2@home.com

#6 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (jhilke @ Mar 6 2003, 07:31 PM)
Is there a way we can setup Linux server to communicate with Windows 2000 Server using NetBOIS name Where I want Windows 2000 to be my primary DNS server?

Jhilke,
I can't give you all the instructions how to make a linux box a part of Windows Domain but yes, there is a way to do that.

I am not sure how because I am not that expert in linux. Anyway, In my previous company Windows 2000 server was the primary DNS server and there were few linux boxes.
Few things I did in Windows 2000 server was created computer account for Linux box that we wanted to be a part of a Domain checking a box Pre-Windows ......... Then created host record / PTR record manually for the linux boxes in the DNS server.

Rest of the linux part was not done by me so can't tell you rest at the moment.

I hope rs_1915 can explain to you rest of the part.
regards
Himal Rai

#7 jhilke

jhilke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:12 AM

rs_1915,

I need your help. Something went wrong so I reinstalled Linux again. I am using old version Red hat 6.2.
Last time, Some how I managed to install the driver for Network card last time and I could ping other computer on Network but now I can't install the driver.

as you said I used tar command.
the problem here is when I went to that directory and try to use ./configure or ./config it can't find that command.

I went to the site www.linux.org but don't know what to download.
Please let me know what to download.
Thank you.

#8 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 04:50 PM

Ok, no problem, Jhilke. I will help u as much as i can smile.gif
Ok, let me ask u something. after executing gunzip and tar -xvf commands, what are the files u have in that directory. is there a file called config. if u see 'config', u will execute that file( since config is a executable file with * on its side), u will execute that file by doing ./config, since this file is not in your path, u have to execute with ./

Just for your info, when u download a driver or any other linux App, try to download the ones with .rpm extension. Those are way easy to install smile.gif
later.

#9 Bimal Paudel

Bimal Paudel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:24 PM

rs 1975 buddy,

you sounded good for nix, can you help for free bsd installation? well, insttallation should be straight forward, I need help for configuration as web server, specially I want to have few MySql database and php to run from that.

#10 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:27 PM

sure, bimal..why not:)
Well, i mostly mess with Redhat and Caldera's Openlinux. but BSD should be similiar. Let me know if u are stuck anywhere in the process of installation or configuration.
Let me ask u some questions--
Are u installing dual boot ( with windows )? or installing just BSD at primary paritition?
What web server are u planning to configure. I would suggest u to use 'Apache', it is free and works great.
I have used MySQL extensively, mySQL is free, easy to use. I use mysql with C++ interface. by the way backbone of this WNSO forum is also mySQL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users