Sign in to follow this  
hypnotic

bogus colleges in uk

I recently had a horrible experience with one of the college in central london. My cousin came from Nepal registered in that college in hospitality course through an agent in Nepal. Because he was interested in hospitality course, the so called agent registered him in postgraduate hospitality course. The agony is that my cousin has not even finished his undergarduate. i was really shocked when he came here enrolled in that course. obiously he had no idea the course he was enrolled was actually postgraduate course. he just told the agent that he wants to do hospitality management. the agent even made him pay all the money upfront. so he did. but once he came here the college realised that he is not old enough to do that course. to tell you the truth they did not even knew that we had to tell them. so they said they will transfer him to another level. they did too but the course he was transferred was not hospitality but but finance. obviously we protested to that and they said wait till spetember. because he doesn't knew anything he used to go to college they just kept on saying next week next week. i really had with them. so i rang them, wanting to know whats happening and if this keeps on going we would have no alternative but to leave the college. i made my point clear to them but the person on the other end was such a pain in *** that he would not even want to listen to me saying that in september they will have proper course for him. but he has laready been here for 4 months and september means another 3 months without college really annoyed me. so i asked them to give our money back we will think of other alternative. guess what they didn't . if it was only thousand or two it would have been other thing but he paid four thousand pound just for nothing. my point is these so called independent colleges are ripping students. i really would like to warn all the students especially who are coming from nepal and paying money they should do their homework intensively before jumping into anything. we had bad experience, we do not want you guys to go through same situation. you really can't do anything against them as we are the underdog here and have to live here. Those agents in nepal should be penalised too.

anyone who had had the same experience please feel free to share.

XXXXX

Well done for this post. At least someone dare to come forward. These sorts of problem keep happening and many are being tricked in this further study scam.

I think this is everyone’s problem. Especially those who want to study seriously. However, it may be due to mistake while choosing college. I classify colleges in two categories, and I guess your cousin pick the wrong one.

In my view bogus colleges are everywhere. However in America, so far I know there are no bogus college, it is because, every college who are affiliated to university still have privilege to issue graduation certificate by college administration. So, university has no control over exam and issuing of graduation certificate, therefore, no need to create bogus college since you can grant or sell certificate to anyone you like, just like in London’s independent college. This privilege is not possible in the UK; any college wants to affiliate themselves with University need to go through tough checking and tough control. Exam is directly control by university or examination board, and certificate is issued by university or examination board. College act as an only tuition centre in the UK. Immigration and University not working together and this gives college enough space to manoeuvre to play game with university and exam board, this game give some breathing space to college and that is where they cheat student and make money.

So, why student do not complain? Well, sometime college cheat student, sometime student Cheat College. For example, there are many college who has better equipped tuition centre, have proper class everyday and they do not allow student to be absent for whole year, these sort of college have their register empty because they do not meet majority of student's requirement. At other hand, there are many colleges who have no proper class but have hundreds of student in their register do meet some student's requirement. These colleges cheat genuine student who want to study seriously. So, people like your cousin become victim of this category.

In my view, organisation like WNSO should come forward to protect interest of students and all Nepalese students should join and support organisation to make it stronger. Without students’ involvement organisation is nothing. That’s the only solution I can see at the moment otherwise, we will keep crying here, while there are thousands students queuing up in Nepal to fly out of the country no matter what the situation here. They do not want to know the fact.

Bogus colleges are everywhere. they help students alot at initial stage, later they blackmail student. So it is give and take. Find out more about college and course you going to attend, don't close your eye and jump in cloud.

Penalizing the agent for that matter is not THE solution to such problems. This would serve the purpose for at superficial level. You cousin is so ignorant that he did not know the level he was actually being admitted to ? We must make a better informed individuals with positive attitude. Should focus on exploring everythign before you jump into picking up a college. WNSO could have been big help then than now.

Bogus colleges are evrywhere. You got to be very careful when you choose any college. Ring your friends, ask your relatives, write email to the concerned education board or authorities over there before joining them.

Rema

It is true that there are a lot of bogus colleges operating in the Uk, especially in the central London area. There are a few tips that should be followed if you genuinely want to study in the UK. First of all make sure that the college or university is accredited by the "BAC". Secondly, see if the college provides degrees through UK's educational boards or does it have its own degrees. In most cases colleges operating with their own degrees are bogus and do so because they cannot guarantee good results on external boards. It is a very good choice if you decide to study in a college which registers students with 'edexcel', which is an external exmination body. Please dont hesitate to ask for information at the British council. Please don't rely on agents and consultancies. On most occasions these are people who are paid by these colleges to send students, so that they may be able to recruit enough students to make money. It is also good to check colleges for affiliation with universities. Many colleges claim that they are affiliated, but it is always good to call or mail the universities for confirmation. In a single simple sentence, be proactive if you don't want to end up regretting.

I am a victim of the same problem. These doggy colleges litreally ripps off the students pockets and not only that, then on intervals they keep asking for more money....which we can say as BLACKMAIL...............they are worst then those criminals in the prison........i am so pissed off that i can't explain in words.........my friends i have lost 5500 pounds...........can you beleive this............... i shouted in the office but what else could i do as in the office is all their staff members and as a female i can't fight with them....two of my Nepalee friends and myself and one of my friend from india....we all are till date trying to recover money.........we came here to make are future bright by studying in UK.....but our bad fortune that we came under these people's hands...........is there any way we can do something............... all of us had written about this college to the DFES register people in October 2006 and till date they didnt take any action,,,,aslo we can still find the college on their register.....................so us a way where we should go and complain!!!!!! awaiting your reply..........¬¬¬

Well done for this post. At least someone dare to come forward. These sorts of problem keep happening and many are being tricked in this further study scam.

I think this is everyone’s problem. Especially those who want to study seriously. However, it may be due to mistake while choosing college. I classify colleges in two categories, and I guess your cousin pick the wrong one.

In my view bogus colleges are everywhere. However in America, so far I know there are no bogus college, it is because, every college who are affiliated to university still have privilege to issue graduation certificate by college administration. So, university has no control over exam and issuing of graduation certificate, therefore, no need to create bogus college since you can grant or sell certificate to anyone you like, just like in London’s independent college. This privilege is not possible in the UK; any college wants to affiliate themselves with University need to go through tough checking and tough control. Exam is directly control by university or examination board, and certificate is issued by university or examination board. College act as an only tuition centre in the UK. Immigration and University not working together and this gives college enough space to manoeuvre to play game with university and exam board, this game give some breathing space to college and that is where they cheat student and make money.

So, why student do not complain? Well, sometime college cheat student, sometime student Cheat College. For example, there are many college who has better equipped tuition centre, have proper class everyday and they do not allow student to be absent for whole year, these sort of college have their register empty because they do not meet majority of student's requirement. At other hand, there are many colleges who have no proper class but have hundreds of student in their register do meet some student's requirement. These colleges cheat genuine student who want to study seriously. So, people like your cousin become victim of this category.

In my view, organisation like WNSO should come forward to protect interest of students and all Nepalese students should join and support organisation to make it stronger. Without students’ involvement organisation is nothing. That’s the only solution I can see at the moment otherwise, we will keep crying here, while there are thousands students queuing up in Nepal to fly out of the country no matter what the situation here. They do not want to know the fact.

I am a victim of the same problem. These doggy colleges litreally ripps off the students pockets and not only that, then on intervals they keep asking for more money....which we can say as BLACKMAIL...............they are worst then those criminals in the prison........i am so pissed off that i can't explain in words.........my friends i have lost 5500 pounds...........can you beleive this............... i shouted in the office but what else could i do as in the office is all their staff members and as a female i can't fight with them....two of my Nepalee friends and myself and one of my friend from india....we all are till date trying to recover money.........we came here to make are future bright by studying in UK.....but our bad fortune that we came under these people's hands...........is there any way we can do something............... all of us had written about this college to the DFES register people in October 2006 and till date they didnt take any action,,,,aslo we can still find the college on their register.....................so us a way where we should go and complain!!!!!! awaiting your reply..........¬¬¬

Sorry to read that. I don't think we can do anything in such case. you can play a good role to protect other student from Nepal .

It is a real problem. When we are in Nepal, we just want to leave the country and do not even bother to think where we are going and what we are doing. This tendency needs to be discouraged. The point I don't understand is taht why people go to such colleges, they could apply to good University. Anyway, you will spend the same money wheather you are going to bogus collages or good University.

This topic raised a real problem that students are facing these days.

One of my relatives (a +2 passed student) was about to be attacked by same problem.

Many many thanks.

He found this discussio in the forum and didn't make any decesion to enroll in that college.

After rigorous enquiry, he found that it was fake.

Fortunately, he saved his money as well.

It is a direct impact of CHAUTARI to a student.

Let us always track our chautari inn such good route !

It feels very good to hear that one of our nepali friends actually was saved from joining a Bogus college. Please lets take special efforts to actually list down these crooks.