Sign in to follow this  
shyamprad

Elderly people and elderly home

Most of us are quite familiar about the ELDERLY HOMES (Briddashram) located nearby the religious heritages (PASHUPATINATH, PATAN, SWAYAMBHU etc.).

It has been observed that sending old people to such ASHRAMS has developed as a tradition. Here, I mention some realities/ unnoticed obstacles faced by old people; and remedies. Many people send their parents to elderly homes in spite of their well economic status. They usually hesitate to keep their own parents (OLD) at home totally neglecting the struggle and contribution made by them to develop them what they are now. It is true that their present so called social status is the result of lifelong sweating of those OLDS. In these ashrams, these senior people have always tears in their eyes as the reflection of their struggle made for their children in the past. They may not get sufficient foods, well medication and of course the most important LOVE.

What could be the best possible remedy of this problem? Is it possible to bring back them all to their home? Or should there be a provision of commercial elderly care centers like child care centers? Or should the government prepare a special law? Let us explore the best for our senior people of the society.

In my views, its comes through the broader socio-cultural background from where we are coming. Right now our government is so broke and weak that it cannot take care of its own offices. Our financial poverty (reflected by government policy) wont' allow our government to soley take care of the elderly people. I understand that I will also become old one day. Our socio-cultural background is so set that we expect our future generation to take care of us while we get disabled. Things works fine in some cases while it does not work in yet other cases. Son kicks his parents out of home is one of the negative example. By laws, an offspring can claim property of his/her parents. This is something not good. Young generations should be able to claim certain portion for education and enterprise development from Government. And right now, SANCHAYA KOSH is applicable for certain government insitution. An individual who works for private companies does not have any kind of provident funds. We should have laws that enforce creating such funds this can partly solve some of resource lessness phenomenon in old people. Its great topi that Shyamprd has started. I would be interested in discussin this more as well.

Most of us are quite familiar about the ELDERLY HOMES (Briddashram) located nearby the religious heritages (PASHUPATINATH, PATAN, SWAYAMBHU etc.).

It has been observed that sending old people to such ASHRAMS has developed as a tradition. Here, I mention some realities/ unnoticed obstacles faced by old people; and remedies. Many people send their parents to elderly homes in spite of their well economic status. They usually hesitate to keep their own parents (OLD) at home totally neglecting the struggle and contribution made by them to develop them what they are now. It is true that their present so called social status is the result of lifelong sweating of those OLDS. In these ashrams, these senior people have always tears in their eyes as the reflection of their struggle made for their children in the past. They may not get sufficient foods, well medication and of course the most important LOVE.

What could be the best possible remedy of this problem? Is it possible to bring back them all to their home? Or should there be a provision of commercial elderly care centers like child care centers? Or should the government prepare a special law? Let us explore the best for our senior people of the society.

I think it is better for the elderly people to stay in the elderly home. Ghar ma CHORA BUHARI ko kich kich sunna bhanda ta ELDERLY HOME ma nai baseko ramro.

As from goverment side, they should make the elderly home for the elder people. Young huda tax line , chora chori lai pani daijo nadine and the money should be used to make elderly home for elderly peoples. I saw the good example in Singapore of the eldely home.

is it possible in Nepal????

Well, from the background that I come from, I would not even dare to imagine sending my parents to an old-age home. Doing anything like that is simply against my ethics.I've volunteered at old age homes and I clearly know what these old persons have to go through. Its really heartbreaking to see how helpless most of them are. I would advise everybody to take care of their old parents no matter what the circumstances. As for those people who dont want to take care of their parents, what about introducing laws that may force these children to actually pay back what the parents took to raise them in hard cash. This way atleast the old will have some money to take care of themselves, even if they are unwanted by their children.

The mordern society , i mean the RICH peoples mostly hate the elderly people.......the people in the villages lov ethe elderly...but the modern family especialy who are rich don;t care for the elderly people.....

I think Elderly homes are okay if run for the homeless elderly people.

But sending parents to elderly people in the name of so-called modern social system is the worst one can ever imagine,especially in our culture.

So far CHHORA BUHARI ko kich kich is concerned, it is not the natural thing as our society takes it.

If love and harmony is maintained in the family there is no need to send parents to elderly homes.

But the saas-bahu stereotype existing in the society is just being exaggerated and people are being brainwashed by some stories (some movies and TV serials) in such a way that this trend getting its roots deeper in our society.

These trends in the names of social advancements are leading us far from our own social structure,

Yes ,the elderly homes are of course important for those who ar homeless, but sending elderly people away by breaking homes and families is the worse than the worst.

Edited by Prashad

yeah true, but elderly home will be better option for the elderly peoples....

Well, from the background that I come from, I would not even dare to imagine sending my parents to an old-age home. Doing anything like that is simply against my ethics.I've volunteered at old age homes and I clearly know what these old persons have to go through. Its really heartbreaking to see how helpless most of them are. I would advise everybody to take care of their old parents no matter what the circumstances. As for those people who dont want to take care of their parents, what about introducing laws that may force these children to actually pay back what the parents took to raise them in hard cash. This way atleast the old will have some money to take care of themselves, even if they are unwanted by their children.

I think Elderly homes are okay if run for the homeless elderly people.

But sending parents to elderly people in the name of so-called modern social system is the worst one can ever imagine,especially in our culture.

So far CHHORA BUHARI ko kich kich is concerned, it is not the natural thing as our society takes it.

If love and harmony is maintained in the family there is no need to send parents to elderly homes.

But the saas-bahu stereotype existing in the society is just being exaggerated and people are being brainwashed by some stories (some movies and TV serials) in such a way that this trend getting its roots deeper in our society.

These trends in the names of social advancements are leading us far from our own social structure,

Yes ,the elderly homes are of course important for those who ar homeless, but sending elderly people away by breaking homes and families is the worse than the worst.

I do support siddartha ji and Prasad ji.

People can opt for respite care in their homes or opt for day care. It all depends on the person who has to be taken care of. Both the arrangements have their own advantage and disadvantage. Some may not want to part with the familiarity of their homes, while some may welcome the change in atmosphere.Eldery care