Sign in to follow this  
santos

DV- is it worth it?

http://www.nepalnews.com/archive/2006/othe...ns_feb06_07.php . Its a very good piece.

Unashamedly, I admit that I also submit the DV application every year. I did it this year as well!! I never had to consider what I'd do if I actually won the lotterry because I've never won it. I think if I had won it four years ago I'd have jetted with the first possible flight out of TIA. However, at this stage because I know the west a lot better and am contemplating a move back to Nepal, I think I'd give it a miss.

The article is so true. People that have mansions in kathmandu or elsewhere are sharing crampy 2 bedroom apartments with 2 other couples, work odd hours in supermarkets, restaurants etc. Literally, they don't have anything else except money. Barring few exceptions, most people have no quality of life, no social life, no job satisfaction, none of the basic requirements of life. Are they really happy over here/ there in US???

Some of my relatives who have come abroad to study have gone back to Nepal even though they had opportunities to stay back (it was easier then to not return, all you had to do was decide you wanted to stay back). And they seem to be a lot happier and more satisfied than those staying abroad to do menial work.

Land of opportunities???!!!!

Its hilarious piece of article I should say instead of good pieace. Going abroad is not for fun or for anything else. I was in Europe sometimes back and then returned to Nepal to join a reputable work where I served with sincerity and honesty and then again the country for some time for higher studies.

Over these long years, I have travelled to many countries abroad and have met many Nepali inmates who had been permanent residents or non nepalies. I have met individuals who do work in so called "menail environment" or high class "professionals". It is partly true that students who come here with intention of making a little more money along with obtaining degrees live in a crowded space and do labor in such a way that they do no have time for a social life. But if you put this thing in the Darwin's theory of survival, its true because those people are earning some money to make change to their livings and you won't be surprised those are the people who would like to have home of their own after 4 years which would cost about 400,000 $. I really have no odd feeling abotu that sort of behaviour.

About social life, things are not similar to Nepal. Most social lives concentrated on weekends and that's nicer too. And about returning to nepal depends on the objectives of your coming overseas and the situation back in country. Having a DV can be a good chance for a Nepali who would have legal rights to work in US in what ever capacity he can. Working in restaurants is no more a menial job. He gets the same level of respect and love as any aristocrat would obtain here. Waiters are no more kanchha's and waitress are neither "taruni" as we happen to see in kathmandu. If the young generation does not do anyting to improve his life then who is going to make change in life and living. Frankly, I do not see in any odd as going overseas, doing a little more labor and try to change life.

As a matter of fact, I came to US to live a dearly life leaving my first class job in Nepal imagining my future improvements in my job. At the moment, I do not have to do so called menial work here, I am in acadmic job and still its not easier than my work in Nepal. People are result oriented and time bound which makes life laborious. I am enjoying this environment as well. My objective is to take this highest level of studies and land into a good job back in country. So you should be clear of your objectives and forget the rest. I really hate to see articles that discourage people projecting the only negative aspects of living abroad. I woudl appreciate if writers would write such articles balancing the negativity and positivity of living abroad.

Thanks

http://www.nepalnews.com/archive/2006/othe...ns_feb06_07.php . Its a very good piece.

Unashamedly, I admit that I also submit the DV application every year. I did it this year as well!! I never had to consider what I'd do if I actually won the lotterry because I've never won it. I think if I had won it four years ago I'd have jetted with the first possible flight out of TIA. However, at this stage because I know the west a lot better and am contemplating a move back to Nepal, I think I'd give it a miss.

The article is so true. People that have mansions in kathmandu or elsewhere are sharing crampy 2 bedroom apartments with 2 other couples, work odd hours in supermarkets, restaurants etc. Literally, they don't have anything else except money. Barring few exceptions, most people have no quality of life, no social life, no job satisfaction, none of the basic requirements of life. Are they really happy over here/ there in US???

Some of my relatives who have come abroad to study have gone back to Nepal even though they had opportunities to stay back (it was easier then to not return, all you had to do was decide you wanted to stay back). And they seem to be a lot happier and more satisfied than those staying abroad to do menial work.

doing a little more labor and try to change life.

It's the main point. Life is struggle. And you feel it inside YOU when you're abroad. Change is vital, society is cruel, reality is absurd, truth is bitter. You can't CHANGE truth, society and reality. They change YOU coz you can't deny them.

enJOy!

-nm

well firstly reading the article i felt that the write is fair with her opinions.. because she is not discouraging anyone as BS jee claimed. She just highlighted the broadspectrum of the vision that most ppl see when they are in Nepal. After reading BS jee opinion, I did feel that he is not wrong either.. I remember one quotation while going through "No Pain No gain" .. Objective is prime.. dejection comes as fragnance to hinder your strength.. Still the significance that you provide to the moral concept will conclude your search.. What ever I am neutral....

But I do strongly say that

Keeping your eyes on a bogus prize could be the biggest mistake of life

its good for the people who can fluently speak english and have pretty good experience on the field he/she has been working on. and if you get a degree on any field from here you would have a wonderful life.

Every frens must be knowing the fact that life is quite struggle at outside .......and all outsiders (thosewho have been to abroad from nepal (who are abroad) come up with a same philosophy that ..,...this is bad this ...not good outside ...., /truely very well said ........even one of uncle is at switzerland ........he always says that ..he is not satisfied with ...outside life ..and keep us advicing ...abroad .........is not good for many reason.......the fallacy is that ..he nevers turns to nepal ......same is the the way as life is ..........

DV ko lagi .......it is a personal choice ....hoina ra ....some people like it some people dont.......it is an economic way for going aborad + some luck.........what do u say frens...

Regards,

kslsanjeeb9

Life in the US is like a hell. No family life, no social life, work, work and work, that's all. You come back to your room tired, after long tedious day. Your partner is either fast asleep or also preparing to hand over the key to you. Weekend…..ahhh what to say, you sleep whole day instead of waking up early and do some family business. This is what I saw in the life of DV winners.

On the contrary, you have a good American education, you have good job, work eight hours a day, a nice car, a nice house, and life is beautiful.

The most important thing is to be in possession of a good academic degree that you can sell in the US. Be competent and upgrade your knowledge all the time, otherwise, you may be kicked out any time.

Some Americans may be very helpful to you. Wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Rema

for some yes, for others no. If you think in terms of work and salary it worths for social reasons it does not.

Dear Sanjeeb n Rema,

Thanks a lot fot your informative posts.