#3 Yadav

Yadav

Unifying Nepalese for Better Education

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Making the right choice is the bottom line of every success story

An individual's career choice is, needless to say, of utmost importance. Contrary to popular teenage belief, the career choice is not made after graduating from college. It is more often than not, finalised when the student makes his/her choice of streams at the end of high school/higher secondery, i.e. after the SLC/+2. This career choice is stamped indelibly in a student's life when he/she decides on the stream of study and the institution that offers this course. These choices are vital. Sadly, the time and professional guidance required to make these choices correctly are limited.

Deciding on the right course:

In Nepal, parents and friends primarily influence students in their decision making. It is not uncommon to find parents making choices for their children even when they are adults. In many cases, parents influenced by their own petty desires and social pressures make unjust choices for their children. For example, it is a trend for many parents whose children secure first division in the SLC examination to, directly or indirectly, coerce their children to study Science to become medical doctors or engineers. As a result, many students after a few months, when they cannot cope up with the course, experience a growing sense of frustration. This frustration causes immense emotional turbulence leading to the birth of anti-social sentiment. Decadence among the youth begins with the easily resorted means to release this frustration: drug abuse and disobedience. These twin social evils are the commonest means of emotional release among teenagers. Discipline problems in and outside school, low motivation towards studies and inclination towards harmful drugs are most common in the behavior patterns of these students. This brings pain to both parties: children and parents.

As long as parents make choices for their children without taking into serious consideration the children's needs and inclinations, these social problems will persist. The solution is in encouraging children to make the right choices and giving them the patience and understanding they need. Giving them the freedom to choose and trust and support when their choices are legitimate will put and end tot the cold war that exists in many parent-teenage child relationships. Children should be encouraged to make their own decisions for themselves from an early age. This creates the much-needed self-esteem required in ones teen years to be able to say "NO" to the wrong choices.

Deciding on the right institution:

Finding a proper institution is another area where students and parents have to exercise utmost care. The lack of trust in the schools and colleges in the country compounded by the barrage of often misleading and false advertisements, parents send their children to foreign educational institutions. The fees, no matter how exorbitant, are also seen as a guarantee of a premium education. The sob stories of the biter experiences of many students who have succumbed to the foreign lure are common in Kathmandu today. The slipshod administration of these 'foreign' intuitions and their affiliation to little-known and even non-existent universities have led to hundreds of unemployed students waling the streets in desperation while their parents are tying to figure out the damage done to their pockets.

Thankfully the increase of good schools and colleges in Nepal has curbed this exodus of students to a considerable degree. Parents and students are now empowered with many options. The range of higher education is increasingly steadily. The onus is now on the students to decide wisely.

Students and parents should realise the enormity of this task. In case there any doubts, professional help should be taken. Student counseling has come a long way and its presence in almost everyday educational institution in the west has stressed on the necessity for students' needs to be addressed with professionalism and accuracy. The services of a skilled and unbiased counselor should be employed without any hesitation.

Source: WAVE Magazine

#4 Rainka_Shivani

Rainka_Shivani

Advanced Honourable Member

• Respected Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(Deven @ Jul 4 2007, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What after 10+2 without good scores?

Accounting?
Medicine?
Engineering?
IT?
Arts?
Tourism?
Law?
Pure Science?

There is no history untill today that one field is best like medicine or Engineering. Any fields can make you a star if you go deeply through it.

QUOTE(Deven @ Jul 4 2007, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Work?

Deven

First you be an educated person then think about work. Isn't it Deven ji? tongue.gif

We can no longer have everything we want, we can be more than we imagined....!!

#5 Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

i hav always followed my passion, everything that has interested me.
when it comes to making a decision, the first thing to consider, is to listen to urself, find what ur interests are, n what you are good at.

u may say how can you be sure if this is the field u want to go for ! interest can grow after a period of time.
whn you have made ur decision and you hav to stick to it, u ll grow interest for that field.
but it can never match up to the natural interest, or ur enthusiasm for the subject that comes from inside.

decisions can sometime be affected. u see someone so successful, say a doctor, or a lawyer, or an engineer. n you see yourself in them. its not that bad. coz you have realised what you want to be.

money affects most of the decisions. u have to make sure if ur family can afford it for you. u are old enough to be this responsible. you simply can not argue coz its the only thing you want to do. compromises have to made.

make ur decision, be it ur own decision, or an affected one. but once u make one, do everything u can to make it THE right decision. go for it. rest everything should fall in their right places. have patience.

success is not from what you do, its more from how you do, n how good you are at it.
Memories play a confusing role. They make u laugh when u remember the time u cried together! But make u cry when u remember the time u laughed together.

#6 sunil

sunil

Chautari Board / ICC/ National Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

success is not from what you do, its more from how you do, n how good you are at it.

Its a perfect view. Whatever you do, do it perfectly. Do not always look at beautiful things. All the glitters are not gold.
Sunil Kumar Joshi
WNSO - Nepal, Kathmandu

Visit My Website
Visit My Facebook
Visit My Academia.edu
Visit My Album

#7 rema

rema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hey dears,

I always went on with my own passion. I never heard others on my career issues. Though I had exceptionally high marks in 10+2, I never went for MBBS or Engineering. I chose what I was always fond of, a mixture of medicine and engineering. That is what I always suggest others too, always do what you are mostly interested in.

Cheers,

Rema

#8 Sukul // Gunda

Sukul // Gunda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Is It Meducal engg.? or some sort of B.Tech studies?
Sukul // Gunda

#9 Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

there are different course that combine those two streams,
like biomedical engineering, medical informatics, or even medical biotechnology !
its a very good choice of field. i was going into biomedical before ended up being into computer science.
i have this feeling now, that i was always made for computers ! though m not a geek !
Memories play a confusing role. They make u laugh when u remember the time u cried together! But make u cry when u remember the time u laughed together.

#10 suhani

suhani

• 99 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(sunil @ Jul 17 2007, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a perfect view. Whatever you do, do it perfectly. Do not always look at beautiful things. All the glitters are not gold.

Hi,
We must do understand that how each of the five sense organs of our are working and defining the related terminology. Related terminology means our body. Our body means our mind and mind means our aim. Our aim means our life and life means the first stage of career when we take a risk, that's called bachelor (10+2).

So you must do investigate and research questions on this yourself and analyze the results yourself. You do not request to others for help on. You just follow to your ambitious and cover that by your skills. Ambitious and skills are the most important things. Just do hard work..go on..go on and one day you will see your name in the list.

Edited by Rainka_Suhani, 21 July 2007 - 05:45 PM.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users