Photo

'Combination diet' cuts cholesterol level !

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sajan

sajan

Honourable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 10:33 AM

Combination diet' cuts cholesterol level

Researchers at the University of Toronto and St Michael's Hospital have found that a diet combining a handful of known cholesterol-lowering plant components cuts levels of LDL cholesterol - the so-called "bad" cholesterol, believed to clog coronary arteries, by close to 30 per cent.

The researchers said that the reduction is similar to that achieved by some drug treatments for high cholesterol, suggesting a possible drug-free alternative for combating the condition.

The study, published in Metabolism, is the first to examine the effects of these dietary components in combination.

Scientists have known for many years that, individually, soy proteins, nuts, viscous fibres such as those found in oats and barley, and plant sterols (a substance found in vegetable oils and also in leafy green and non-starch vegetables) have the ability to reduce blood cholesterol levels by approximately four to seven per cent.

However, the new study found that mixing these components together in a "combination diet" reduced bad cholesterol by a dramatic 29 per cent.

The finding suggests this combination diet may be as effective as the first generation of a class of drugs known as statins, which have been the standard drug therapy for high cholesterol for the last 15 years.

"This opens up the possibility that diet can be used much more widely to lower blood cholesterol and possibly spare some individuals from having to take drugs," said lead author David Jenkins, a professor in University of Toronto's Department of Nutritional Sciences and director of the Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre at St Michael's Hospital.
With warm regards and best compliments !

Sajan
E-mail : sspinya@yahoo.com
"Anti-nepotism as well as anti-baisness are mandatory to be a vaild socio- organisation or charity"

#2 sunil

sunil

Chautari Board / ICC/ National Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 06:22 AM

Moderate daily exercise, green leafy vegetables, soy products and vegetable oil are source of a healthy life and it saves us from a lot of diseases.
Sunil Kumar Joshi
WNSO - Nepal, Kathmandu

Visit My Website
Visit My Facebook
Visit My Academia.edu
Visit My Album

#3 sajan

sajan

Honourable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 10:41 AM

Hi Sunil Jee,

You are right these are the basic things and are practical as well.....
With warm regards and best compliments !

Sajan
E-mail : sspinya@yahoo.com
"Anti-nepotism as well as anti-baisness are mandatory to be a vaild socio- organisation or charity"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users