Sign in to follow this  
SuperGoddess

Life in Australia.

Hey guys,

I'd appreciate it if you guys let me know about Australian lifestyle and everything. All about jobs for students, and working hours, and the people there... living expenses..just everything.

I recently got accepted in Australian Catholic University (ACU)...anybody already studying there? Well, if you know anything...can you guys' give me more details about the environment there?

I am applying for visa this week, so I'm gathering all the information that I can get. It'd be great if you guys' help me out!

Regards,

SuperGoddess.

hey i think ace is not a good uni to study. the time table is not good over there and i cant understand what they are teaching about.

life is tough in australia. no time to read and enjoy.

Australia not so student-friendly

BY KOSH RAJ KOIRALA

KATHMANDU, June 16 - Are you planning to go to Australia for higher study? And do you also expect to make money while studying in the college of your choice? If yes, it is very important that you have realistic expectations before you actually opt to go to Australia.

In an interview with the Post, Linda Laker, Minister-Counsellor for Education, Employment and Workplace Relation of Australian Educational International (AEI), said job market in Australia is very competent and students opting for part time job with no prior work experiences will have to end up attending interviews for months, yet with no guarantee of employment.

Of the 450,000 international students enrolled in about 1,400 academic institutions last year, the number of Nepali students alone stood at about 7,000. The growing attraction of young students from different parts of the world to Australia for higher studies has made job opportunities there very competitive -- and scarce -- in recent years.

Even if one is lucky enough to get a job, there are laws that do not allow students to work for more than 20 hours a week and students also have to abide by other requirements of Immigration Department. "If they can afford to study in Australia only by working 100 hours a week then I would say they cannot afford to come to Australia," said Laker, who was on a short visit to Nepal from Delhi-based Australian High Commission. "It is not in their interest or ours if they come to Australia and can't afford to live."

Just a few weeks ago, local authorities in Victoria shad raided a house where dozens of Nepali students were living in 'not acceptable' condition. "We are very much concerned about stories that Nepali students or any other international student for that matter living in accommodation, which we would feel not acceptable for students," she said.

"It is very important that students understand the costs involved before they come to Australia."

According to statistics of AEI, Nepal currently stands in the 11th position in terms of number of students studying in Australia. Most Nepali students reaching Australia are found to have opted for Hospitality, Tourism, Information Technology, Nursing, Community Service and Business Studies.

Apart from the consideration of earning while studying, there are also encouragements for some students to get permanent residence and eventually stay in Australia. "There is nothing wrong in students choosing that as an option," said Laker, adding: "But from our point of view, we firstly want students because they have to study, not for other reasons."

She also said the Australian Government prefers that students studying in Australia either come back to their home country or go to third country for work.

Source:ekantipur.com

Posted on: 2008-06-15 20:24:52 (Server Time)

Australia not so student-friendly

BY KOSH RAJ KOIRALA

KATHMANDU, June 16 - Are you planning to go to Australia for higher study? And do you also expect to make money while studying in the college of your choice? If yes, it is very important that you have realistic expectations before you actually opt to go to Australia.

In an interview with the Post, Linda Laker, Minister-Counsellor for Education, Employment and Workplace Relation of Australian Educational International (AEI), said job market in Australia is very competent and students opting for part time job with no prior work experiences will have to end up attending interviews for months, yet with no guarantee of employment.

Of the 450,000 international students enrolled in about 1,400 academic institutions last year, the number of Nepali students alone stood at about 7,000. The growing attraction of young students from different parts of the world to Australia for higher studies has made job opportunities there very competitive -- and scarce -- in recent years.

Even if one is lucky enough to get a job, there are laws that do not allow students to work for more than 20 hours a week and students also have to abide by other requirements of Immigration Department. "If they can afford to study in Australia only by working 100 hours a week then I would say they cannot afford to come to Australia," said Laker, who was on a short visit to Nepal from Delhi-based Australian High Commission. "It is not in their interest or ours if they come to Australia and can't afford to live."

Just a few weeks ago, local authorities in Victoria shad raided a house where dozens of Nepali students were living in 'not acceptable' condition. "We are very much concerned about stories that Nepali students or any other international student for that matter living in accommodation, which we would feel not acceptable for students," she said.

"It is very important that students understand the costs involved before they come to Australia."

According to statistics of AEI, Nepal currently stands in the 11th position in terms of number of students studying in Australia. Most Nepali students reaching Australia are found to have opted for Hospitality, Tourism, Information Technology, Nursing, Community Service and Business Studies.

Apart from the consideration of earning while studying, there are also encouragements for some students to get permanent residence and eventually stay in Australia. "There is nothing wrong in students choosing that as an option," said Laker, adding: "But from our point of view, we firstly want students because they have to study, not for other reasons."

She also said the Australian Government prefers that students studying in Australia either come back to their home country or go to third country for work.

Source:ekantipur.com

Posted on: 2008-06-15 20:24:52 (Server Time)

so sad for nepali students !!

Life anywhere, in foreign land will be difficult. There is nothing sure that You get job once u land on any country. Immigration, work permit and cost differ in different country. so, please make all the informations clear and make a rational decision in life. We should stop thinking that foreign land is heaven. It is a misconception and foreign land can turn out to be hell.

What kool bhai is getting problem in Australia.. Hope that he has to manage .... plus he needs more support from WNSO memebrs and all students..

hey who r u i m not is problem in australia i am enjyoing my life in here and thats all

What kool bhai is getting problem in Australia.. Hope that he has to manage .... plus he needs more support from WNSO memebrs and all students..

hey who r u i m not is problem in australia i am enjyoing my life in here and thats all

Dear Kool .As you have already mentioned you are not in problem in Australia and you are enjyoing your life.That's really great.Thanks for your information about others who are really in trouble.Please keep on Posting accurate and comprehensive information for students eager to study Australia.take care.

Kool, ke chha.. la WNSO-Australia Rocks! Ani australia ko actual informations ko lagi chautari apekshya garcha!