Sign in to follow this  
Avee

Shocking things about studying in the UK

REGULAR BLOG FROM ANTHONY SLARK (DAI) WHO IS A BRITISH CITIZEN AND LIVES IN BALAMBU WITH HIS WIFE AND FAMILY.

Yesterday and the day before I was chatting for hours with students in facebook who are interested in studying abroad. They have no idea of all the cheating that is going on here in Kathmandu and the UK. Basically it is like this. There are lots of bogus colleges, mainly in the London area where the standard of education is very, very low. These colleges are set up by unscrupulous Asians and Africans with the sole intention of making money. Some of them are no more than some rooms above shops in scruffy areas of London. The students here must get very shocked ................ (To read more view his blog) http://hungrydai.multiply.com/journal/item/553/Shocking_things_about_studying_in_the_UK_news_from_my_home_in_Kathmandu

DCambodia-and-Vietnam-AprilMay-2007Some-people-I-met-in-Hanoi.JPG?et=cpTqKzy%2CHisRBQGutzMsbQ&nmid=0

http://www.hungrydai.multiply.com

Anthonyslark@yahoo.co.uk

facebook ID www.facebook.com/anthony.slark

Yahoo Messenger:- anthonyslark

Phone:- 98416-57083

Absolutely shocking but true.

Let me tell you more fact...

1. most of the teachers in these colleges are students in same college but they do not disclose that teachers are student themself. College management pick intelligent and educated students and offer them to be teacher. Student is happy to be teacher and not pay fee and get small salary (less than minimum wages set by government). Some students are highly educated mean they have done master in their country therefore they do not need to study lower degree in these college, and feel happy to be teacher. But in college's file, list of teacher are someone who never been teacher in these college, college just collect CVs and certificates from some people just to show the government just in case there is checking.

2. Many of courses they offers are distance learning course. These college really do not have inhouse tution course approval from any university. So they do register students for distance learning and also becomes agent of university for distance learning and they do trick students saying they are affiliated to university.

3. These college are too keen to collect money. Facility such as libruary, toilets, hostel, canteen and students services are zero. Like this aboves' blog said, most of them are running from above shop. Some of the proud colleges who compared themself with oxford or cambridge university do run from a small flat (probably smaller than student toilet that cambride or oxford uni has).

4. Almost all of these colleges are owned by african or asian (like blogger Dai said), but some clever owner have hired Whiteman as principle (who again hold fake degree therefore cannot sell himself or herself in British Market) and also employe some white staff (again those who cannot sell themself in competitive market and most of them are white people of foreigh origin) and manage to impress students like if they have joined good college.

5. last but not least, once you join these colleges, they grab you like if they have found "hen that give golden egg", and will never allow you to leave them, for that they will frighten you, threaten you and even tell you they can cancel your visa and deport you. Fact is otherway around, if students go to immigration with all these fact, authority may close these college but deporting students is beyond these college's reach.

6. Finally, now UK government have joined these college to robbed students by making visa process easier and creting hell like sutiation for students in the UK (adapted from Australia). Now students can easily get visa to come here but only those will survive who can bring money from their home. Those who dream to make money while studying will lose everything. This is very wrong time to come to UK as student if you cannot bring money from home to study. At least prepare to bring college fee from home, for accommodation you may earn here.

Khuda Hafiz.

Edited by thirdpole

Does it sound any different from what we saw in Cyprus, Avee bro?? Even KASA and Americanos are being operated in places above many shops!!

Does it sound any different from what we saw in Cyprus, Avee bro?? Even KASA and Americanos are being operated in places above many shops!!

Hi sujan,

yes the case is same, but atleast americanos has a few experienced teachers and are affiliated to a few international universities.. but similar to kasa, students future is in danger with college over shops (and sometimes pubs!!) here in UK.

I have inspected a few colleges myself since Anthony Dai and I are trying to operate a non-profit educational consultancy (without charging consultancy fees & providing only genuine first hand information) in Kathmandu assisting students only for UK, and my god these colleges are shame. Some of the principals even dont know how to speak proper English!!!

Edited by Avee

I feel sad for these students but I do not know what kind of people will be cheated. Main thing is not to rely on consultancy. Do your research bit in Internet. See the list of Universities, go to british council and talk with them. Come to WNSO and check post here, contact some friends/people who are already there in UK. N think, analyse all the info and the chance of cheating will get reduced...........Am I right guys?

I have not seen/been to UK even in my dreams.So, correct me if i am wrong.

Very good Thirdpole!

Lately, I have also started hearing more and more cases of visa refusal of the students admitted to these cheap colleges even if they are A rated.

These colleges infact earn thousands of pounds every intake by only charging the "ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS" of around 150-250 pounds from each students while returning their deposit money back after visa refusal from the embassy. So,in both case these colleges are in a win-win situation.

If the visa is refused, they still have the money and if the visa is given (very rarely!) then they will have the fees and as thirdpole said they threaten the students etc...

Regarding Chamatkari baba's post: I think students are not always able to check if the college is reputed or no. All colleges have well made website with pictures from big ben and what not, that makes them look like a pro. If you say to check UK Visa website - all these colleges are A Rated colleges for Tier 1 visa sponsor list. THE MAIN REASON MOST STUDENTS REGRET LATER ON IS : choosing cheap college. "cheap" is the magic word in Nepal and students dont care about if the visa will be refused or not. Or if even the visa is granted what kind of qualification are they gaining? Will that help their legal stay in UK? Will that help them to go back to Nepal or elsewhere to work if they wish later on? Will it even qualify for the post qualification work scheme in UK?

Well, many students dont think about that and the only thing they think is to go to UK and thats it and they dont care about the rest. I am not telling about all the students but most of cases I have seen is sad but like this....

Edited by Avee

Avee bro,

I have to admit that I am one of the swarm of bees who is seeking to come to the UK. I wish to do my MBA. I have heard about Cavendish College in London. The MBA is awarded by the University of Wales and is said to be reputed. The course fee is around 6950 pounds+150 pounds for registration fee and will last for one year. Can you or anyone provide me the review of this college? I bet the education standard won't meet that of the University of Wales itself as Cavendish must be a private institution operating in a small building. Let me know ur idea.

Thanx Avee for your inputs and clarifying me.

I just want to share a small incident. About an year back, a friend cum small brother from Nepal completed his +2 from India in science background. He heard something about Australia, and Hotel Management course there. He was dying to go there. But his main intention was to go there, enroll some 'cheap' colleges, work very hard in some store and earn some big bucks.

He used to speak with me in English to improve his speaking ability, which was too poor. A nice kid, so, I helped him little and felt a lot of pity. A terai (Madheshi) background, n family doing some small Mithai (sweet shops), and not that well off family, I tried him hard to convince not to take decision in haste. But, he had already dreams of earning Dollors. I heard later that he did not get Australian Visa and went to Cyprus through Consultancy.

A nice and poor kid, I wish him all the best there. Hope he is doing good!

Best way to avoid being ripped by these college and avoid being sucidal:

1. Like Chamatkari Baba said, come here in Chautari and do through discuss, don't rush. Remember, hurry make bad curry

2. Try to join University or college that are run directly by university

3. do not plan to come and study in the UK if you are not planning to bring tution fee.

4. Only come to UK for Master degree, because bachelor degree will clost alot which many won't afford.

5. Before you join any college, come here in chautari and ask for more detail about that college.

Remember, A grade college mean nothing. Every college, from very good to very bad and dodgy all have A Grade, it is because, nobody can run college with B Grade. B Grade is given to college at initial stage if they are not qualified to be A grade, and within 3 months or so, they have to amend or improve things that recommended by authority, and they become a Grade. there are many way to trick Authority, for example, many colleges pay some money to good college and show their libruary as shared libuary between two college, or partnership between college etc.

Best option is, do Bachelor from nepal, and come UK, you will some point will complete master but if you come to UK after +2, you finishng Bachelor from UK is very unlikely, you can only do if you bring money from Nepal, else it will take almost decade to pass bachelor.