Sign in to follow this  
ramkharel

toshiba satellite a30 - 514 laptop shuts down

Problem:

My Laptop shuts down itself without any warning or anything. I have toshiba satellite a30 - 514 model of laptop runs with window xp professional though the original operating system was xp home edition and I replaced that with professional - clean installation. Now while running the laptop sometimes it shuts down in 10-15 mins or sometimes even in 1-2 hrs i dont know why its goes off like that as it never shows any message nor any kind of errors or warnings.

Just before 3/4 seconds of shutting down it gives a bit high noise from the cpu fan and goes off like that.

I would be very grateful if someone explains the reasonable cause and solution.

Thanking you!

ramkharel.

london

Edited by ramkharel

If your Windows is running fine for 10-15 minutes, then there cant be any serious hardware problems.

May be your CPU fan is clogged with dust. Once the CPU gets heated it gives warning sign with high pitch tones. Check if your CPU is getting over heated.

In Desktop we can easily clean the CPU fan, but there is a little hitch in laptop cleaning. Try vacuum cleaner tongue.gif

In my case it worked rolleyes.gif

If your Windows is running fine for 10-15 minutes, then there cant be any serious hardware problems.

May be your CPU fan is clogged with dust. Once the CPU gets heated it gives warning sign with high pitch tones. Check if your CPU is getting over heated.

In Desktop we can easily clean the CPU fan, but there is a little hitch in laptop cleaning. Try vacuum cleaner  tongue.gif

In my case it worked  rolleyes.gif

71260[/snapback]

Thanks for ur reply ujjwal ji. But the problem is it doesnt give any error nor warning messages before it shutting down. It just goes off suddenly. I have done vacuuming as well but same thing repeats again and again. This crap thing giving me so hard time u see. I have tried many ways but have no ideas what to do now.

Once again thanks for ur possible reason and suggestions. what esle could be the reason u think? so far i was thinking the product key but i have genuine xp professional and Laptop was bought last year just on march'2004 but unfortunately it is giving me so headache now.

Ram Jee,

If it give bit big noise of fan before shutting down, check the CPU fan underneath laptop. If you use laptop on bed or on lap blocking the air for fan, CPU will get heat, fan will run faster to make CPU cool but won't get external air since it may have block, and it shuts down.

so far i was thinking the product key but i have genuine xp professional and Laptop was bought last year just on march'2004

Ramkharel ji, I dont think it can have anything to do with the product key, since you said it runs for 10-15 minutes before it gets shut down.

In BIOS it is programmed to shut-down the computer when it reaches the threshold temperature. You can manually increase that threshold point, but it is not recommended.

Because of this, you wont get any warning messages in windows.

Try using some software to monitor your CPU temperature. Eg: CPUCOOL or MOTHERBOARD MONITOR.

Here is the link to download CPUCOOL.

http://down.crsky.com/dl/CPUCool-v7.35.rar

( FULL VERSION with serial included )

try it........ nothing to lose smile.gif

Edited by ujjwal

Check BIOS Power management and power management in your XP control panel. It should fix it, If not change your power supply.

71337[/snapback]

I dont think, we can change anything from power management of XP control panel for BIOS.

Check BIOS Power management and power management in your XP control panel. It should fix it, If not change your power supply.

71337[/snapback]

I dont think, we can change anything from power management of XP control panel for BIOS.

71374[/snapback]

Thank you all for ur interest and valuable time given to my query. I really appreciate all reasonable and possible causes mentioned above. Though, I had to reboot again with recovery CDs and its working now. I have now No more sudden shutting down Problem.

I am facing same problem in My windows Machine(Toshiba Notebook). I sent it to tosiba Technical team more than two times and everytime they send me by changing charger thats all. But what i have understand it its CPU as well as cpu fan (Himal Dai is right on it (CPU Fan) but there are other problems as well.)

Edited by linuxaddict