Sign in to follow this  
dave

What is research exactly.. ?

Haloo everyone

A bright sunny wel-come ,

sad.gif

I would like to ask to you What is the Research ? What the term Research means exactly ? Is there anyone who wants to share your own ideas and defn of research. Besides that, what's the difference between the primary and the secondary research ?

I expected a great sugection about the research from all of you.

Thanks

dave

Question you are asking yourself has an answer. Which should be pretty simple, I assume.

You are searching an answer of re[search] ...the prefix 're' means do it again and search means search where you are searching the answer by yourself collectively is called research.

There are ways to to search...I will give you an example of research. Spend whole ******* day in this forum by ussing search feature what you exatly want to search and document it in your own style or the taste and the final conclusion will be called research.

Primary and secondary research are non-sense, yourself I can see are in confuse...or little unsure to find the answer you have to research tongue.gif. What exactly do you wabt to say by naming primary and secondary research? Is that hard-off course related...??

I do research like this. I spend whole day looking at the defragging stage and data flow in my computer and it's damn sexy. I usually find an answer and luckily document in such a way that I just happen to satisfy myself. That is my research...

Do you care to be specific.....??

Yea Negetive Phreek,

Actually I need to make a project about any one 5 star Hotel. It means that we are given to make a SWOT analysis of a hotel. I mean, I have to make a Report, Project by Researching the Hotel. So, basically, what are the basic ideas to research about a hotel. I just want to know which method of research will be correct for my project.

If I follow the primary Research, What should I do basically ? And, if I follow the secondary research what should I do ? Which method will be easy and effectively ?

I am looking forward to hear from you very soon. smile.gif

Thanks

dave

Hmm...you haven't done well in your primary research, so I won't go further for the secondary research : P ...The primary research you could do is start checking members profile and seek help to the one who is doing 'hotel managent' : P ..they could be great help if they are in your stage.

Also, When you ask something try to be detailed as much as you can. You will be surprised how much it can help you. This is how you make the most. I did a little research for your sake. But you have to be patient. I am not related to hotel management but little research helpmed me. I have usually answers for the IT related only.

Be patient which will help you in the primary research and read all this http://www.marketingteacher.com/Lessons/lesson_swot.htm if it's get harder grab a cup of coffee, and you will need to be determinded yourself on reading...like I do : P... after you are passed on the primary stage (which you call ) go into http://businessmajors.about.com/cs/casestu.../Hotels_com.htm and I can assure you this will be great help for you...

All you need is patient.

Rajunpl, if you were my advisee, i would have advised you to sale the strawberry near Maitighar. I, particularly, disagree with you and your, the given definition about research.

===

Dave,

I can understand your current situation. I assume that you must be at undergraduate level (correct me if i am wrong).

Research is a vast and very interesting assignment/task/project/contribution to any field. Research can also be defined as a comparative analysis, which further says that Why Your Research (or work done) is better than the others. What's new things added into your work so that you would suggest others "my method is robust" and "performs well". What is the real contribution to your research....

Okay, Dave, let's come back to your topic.

Actually I need to make a project about any one 5 star Hotel. It means that we are given to make a SWOT analysis of a hotel

Let us pick up one of the 5 * hotels of Nepal. I am choosing HYAT REGENCY.

If i were you, i would have been carrying out your PROJECT (not exactly research) or SPECIAL STUDY ON HOTELs in the following ways:

1. Introduction : This section usually includes the meaning of hotel. Later, would be defined abt 5* hotel. What are the different famous 5* hotels in the world? What are the necessary parameters, budget, facility, no. of rooms to be accomodated so on and so forth REQUIRED? wat is the difference between Ktm's Hyat and Bangkok's (or so on..)... Why the room rent per night is usually expensive in 5*? What are the different staff levels? What can be the salary range? so on and so forth.

Bottom line : this is called LITERATURE REVIEW (or in a simpler way, u can say a kind of survey)

2. Methodology:

where u can include:

Primary : collect the necessary data, do some assumptions if necessary, give your own concept or idea -- how the 5* hotels can be run smoothly, reliably with proper management, operation and maintenance (like this...)

3. Results and discussion:

I would include your "secondary" over here where you can include:

what you got from doing this special study. What you got about HYAT. What differences you found from other 5*. Why it is better? What are it's drawback (if) and how can it be reduced?

for me, this step appears after the results are obtained. Then start writing paper (manuscript) (may be for Dave, it can be a report, not sure).

4. Conclusion

5. Recommendations : if any, what can be further done to improve Hyatt,... so on.

Acknowlegment : u can include this small section to acknowledge someone or any office, or party or organization etc.

In the beginning of the report, do not forget to give the glimpse of your report. You can give the section name as ABSTRACT (summary of the report).

-- I hope the above is informative.

Thankx.

PS: Dave, the above is still not a pure research. For your assignment, the above works well. It will be a kind of project or special study only. But it's not so easy too. Since you are in hotel mngt. study, go to your library and browse some journals.

Gud luck.

well appreceated okinawa, It could be so nice if you had been through that link. Dunno how Eliktricity works. But well explained. I can say you have some experience since you are going through it...

Well, I think heshould follow oki and go detail on the link provided unless he had found extra useful one.

EDITED: / Ooh, by the way how much do you expect me to get selling strawberry oki? damn I could slip into my room and spend the day in my research : P)

Edited by Negative Phreek

well appreceated okinawa, It could be so nice if you had been through that link. Dunno how Eliktricity works. But well explained. I can say you have some experience since you are going through it...

Well, I think heshould follow oki and go detail on the link provided unless he had found extra useful one.

EDITED:  / Ooh, by the way how much do you expect me to get selling strawberry oki? damn I could slip into my room and spend the day in my research : P)

58012[/snapback]

no no bro, strawberry might let you think of someone and ... .. different kiryakalaap ; )

thanks bro. I just clicked the links. It is useful too. I know you r damn good as a search engine good researcher ; )

Dave, there are many hotel industries related fella in WNSO, they will give you better suggestion. I just had to replace the word while explaining you. May be not fit for u.

huh.gifhuh.gif HELLO,

OKINAWA,

Yea, You are correct.

I am thanksful to both of you Negative Phreek and OKINIWA for providing me a worthful suggection, links and ideas that I asked. Now I am greatful towards you. I had expected a great diet , Now I got many many.......that are enough for me.

I can't stay a liittle bit more without wishing you a HAppy Dashian and Tihar. Have a great Dashain to all of you.

Thanks lotz

dave

Edited by dave

Dave,

I know it seems to be bit late to answer of your query. Anyway, Oki had given you a route map for your project.

However, what I would comments is, research itself is a very broad term. There is always a reason why research is going to be carried out and what about too? These researches can be known as small/big report, project and dissertation etc. There must be a valid and reliable method to carry out such research. The research can be carried out by basing secondary data/primary data. The secondary data is the information/literature which is already published for instance theory and primary data is the information which is collected by researcher for the purpose of such research to correlate with secondary data.

You were talking about SWOT and PESTLE analysis too. These are Environmental factor which impact on business scenario. It is very important to understand in what kind of macro environment business is being operated prior to going any further to make decision on strategic plan for instance you can use Diagnosis, Prognosis and Action model to write your report. Try to read Johnson and Scholes or Kotler on marketing book for this purpose.

Thanks,