30 replies to this topic

#21 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:56 PM

*nix phreek!!! u have to ask Miss Mysterious eyes about that.

Well, I've decided to purchase a Wireless Internet Web Camera. And mount to the front door of my house for security. It is easy to configure in my existing wireless network, plus it has a built in Web server. Which means i can view from my web browser, from anywhere in the world. Plus it has Motion sensor capability smile.gif it starts recording the video stream as it detects the motion.
check it out for more detail about the product http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=297

Edited by rs_1915, 02 August 2004 - 07:59 PM.

:)

#22 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

Advanced Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:24 PM

Allrite...also put one camrea in batroom, one in toilet, one in bacyards and one inside your box incase of hardware failure.

Assuming all are wireless and all with streaming video feature, this way almost everyhing inside your house is secure.,,lol

#23 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:16 PM

also put one camrea in batroom

hehe...why r u so interested watching me taking shower?!! I am straight smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
btw , Tigerdirect.com decided to replace my defective SMC adapter with Trendware 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter (T156-2114 ). Not sure how good is Trendware smile.gif anyways, it is free of cost + free shipping + Nice apology from Tigerdirect.com. smile.gifsmile.gif

#24 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:00 PM

hmm...so IEEE 802.11g rocks,wish you luck this time. Nice apology would be better if all comes free this time..lol

#25 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

Let me share my experience with Dynamic DNS service provided by Myserver.org.
I have recently setup my Wireless network with DSL broadband connection. Since the IP provided by my ISP to DSL Modem is dynamic ( changes periodically), web hosting is a real challenge. So i decided to register with myserver.org. A client application ( installed from Myservrer.org) runs constantly on my machine and pings for the IP address and updates IP-DNS translation. Which means i can use this static DNS. smile.gifsmile.gif

#26 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:21 PM

Well,

If your ISP knew that you are hosting web without their concern then it is considered as not-leagl. You have to let them know and you can buy static IP paying extra.Otherwaise changing IP is normal an X(A)DSL connection.

Alternatively register with http://www.no-ip.com If your site does not contain a lot of file to transfer...or you wanted to keep hiding from your ISP.

#27 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

hmm....is it not legal??!! i guess i need to contact my ISP and find out. This is my understanding..it is ok to host websites,,as long as the traffic is light. If the traffic is heavy, they will start asking to upgrade the service. I dont recall my contract saying that i can not host websites or how many hits to my page.
My ISP provides various types of service. The one i have is DSL light ( only $24.00 ) comes with dynamic ip, they also offer one with higher speed and static IP.

Edited by rs_1915, 11 August 2004 - 06:26 PM.

#28 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:04 PM

Well...no luck so far connecting remotely. I set up with myserver.org, i have client running on my server at home. On the router, under NAT, I set up virtual server, setup port forwarding like this
My Machine Port Enable
192.168.1.100 80 ( HTTP Port ) Yes
192.168.1.100 5631 ( PCAnywhere Port ) Yest

Then i tried to run PCAnywhere from work tried to connect to DNS myserver.org gave me..i can ping it the ip but can not connect.

Also i am running Apache at home...i tried to hit the page from the browser..no luck.!!!!

#29 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:58 PM

hmm.. looks like you have DNS problem.Since you can ping each other there is no connection problem, also disable firewall or NAT and try.

configure dns properly as well as default gateway.I know it's silly but that mistake we don't often realise.

BTW, leave TCP stack alone for a while, play with basic configuration first and trace the path if there is any bottleneck.

#30 mapang

mapang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(rs_1915 @ Aug 11 2004, 10:12 AM)
Let me share my experience with Dynamic DNS service provided by Myserver.org.
I have recently setup my Wireless network with DSL broadband connection. Since the IP provided by my ISP to DSL Modem is dynamic ( changes periodically), web hosting is a real challenge. So i decided to register with myserver.org. A client application ( installed from Myservrer.org) runs constantly on my machine and pings for the IP address and updates IP-DNS translation. Which means i can use this static DNS. smile.gifsmile.gif

View Post

Hello all, I was very interested in reading you post about dns services, since I had looked into that and was not very convinced about security issues. I work for a very large organization and felt uncomfortable with our clients ip adresses going through a dns service server. I would say that for a smaller firm this might work, but for medium or large businesses i would recommend www.ipdetective.ca Their software package is intalled on each of your client's computers and it automatically updates their IP address on your ftp site. It does not go to another server etc. I would think that with all the security issues lately, this is a safer way to go. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users