• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 sujita

sujita

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Sirupate @ Jun 29 2004, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (RKYadav @ Jun 29 2004, 01:02 PM)
Is Victoria Cross Britain's highest gallantry award? How many Gorkha soldiers won this award?

Yes, it is.

What is George Cross then? I heard George Cross is the highest award for British army.
Confidential help is one click
away for WNSO members. Email helpline at wnso.org (worldwide)
or helplineuk at wnso.org (only for UK). Not feeling well?
Email WNSO doctor to doctor at wnso.org. Please replace at with @

#12 Sirupate

Sirupate

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Sujita Lamichhane @ Jul 6 2004, 01:35 PM)
What is George Cross then? I heard George Cross is the highest award for British army.

The Victoria Cross is the realm's highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy.

The George cross was intended primarily for civilians awarded for actions not in the face of the enemy.

No women have been awarded the Victoria Cross but 3 of the four George Cross were awarded to women.

#13 Narayan Shrestha

Narayan Shrestha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Shivani Shahi @ Jul 4 2004, 06:42 AM)
A long ago I read somewhere that there were more than 25 Gurkha rifle regiments but currently I found only eleven Gurkha rifle Regiments. 2nd Gurkha Rifles, 6 Gurkha rifle, 7 Gurkha rifle and 10 Gurkha rifles are under the Britis Government and others are under an Indian government.

Presently there are only 11 Gurkha Rifles, right? Why some Gurkha Rifle Regoments in UK and some in India? And I have read some topics same here in the WNSO forum and found that some friends wrote 1/8 Gurkha Rifle, 3/1 Gurkha Rifle, 1//11 Gurkha Rifles and etc etc more....! What does it mean?

A couple of year ago, I watced a Hindi movie called LOC. 1/11 Gurkha Rifle was mentioned on that movie. Movie was really impressive to me coz part of the Gurkha Rifle was really great and interesting in that movie. I came to know by an article which I have read somewhere else. That article says, many Gurkha soldiers had lost their life during the Kargil War. How many of them achieved the Gallantary awards or how many of them were been awarded by Indian Government?

#14 clenchedFIST

clenchedFIST

emptyMIND DEVILSworkshop

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Narayan Shrestha @ Jul 8 2004, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Shivani Shahi @ Jul 4 2004, 06:42 AM)
A long ago I read somewhere that there were more than 25 Gurkha rifle regiments but currently I found only eleven Gurkha rifle Regiments. 2nd Gurkha Rifles, 6 Gurkha rifle, 7 Gurkha rifle and 10 Gurkha rifles are under the Britis Government and others are under an Indian government.

Presently there are only 11 Gurkha Rifles, right? Why some Gurkha Rifle Regoments in UK and some in India? And I have read some topics same here in the WNSO forum and found that some friends wrote 1/8 Gurkha Rifle, 3/1 Gurkha Rifle, 1//11 Gurkha Rifles and etc etc more....! What does it mean?

A couple of year ago, I watced a Hindi movie called LOC. 1/11 Gurkha Rifle was mentioned on that movie. Movie was really impressive to me coz part of the Gurkha Rifle was really great and interesting in that movie. I came to know by an article which I have read somewhere else. That article says, many Gurkha soldiers had lost their life during the Kargil War. How many of them achieved the Gallantary awards or how many of them were been awarded by Indian Government?

no mate ... now no more 11 gurkha rifles exist...... there are now.. 1RGR, 2RGR, QOGLR, QGS, QGE as a mojor unit .... there are few others like Brigade Band and all.......
A long time ago there were all these 7 GR, 10 GR, 3 GR, 1/2, 2/2 and loads other but now all are merged into 1. 7 and 10 were merged and formed 2 RGR where u find all the soldiers from eastern part of nepal. 6 GR and other formed 1 RGR where soldier are form the western part of nepal......
its all the british policy to decrease the soldiers from the this big unit 2 small unit as we have now....
why do india also have gurkhas? its interesting question!
in 1945... is that the correct year when india got independence? on that year the british wanted only the half of the gurkha regiment 2 go with them.. so they choose 7 GR, 10 GR, 6 GR, 1/2, 2/2 with them and continued.... and the remaining units were left in india to serve the indian government. that's is y there's still gurkhas serving in India....
just for info:
2RGR is based in brunei
1RGR is based in the shronecliff, UK
QOGLR is based in Aldershot, UK
QGS is based in York, Bramcote, UK
QGE is based in Maidstone, UK

every three yrs time 1 RGR and 2 RGR they swap their place... so this time 2 RGR is in brunei and is goin back to the Uk in 2006.

hey mate !
still got some question abt this... just knock on my door... i'll help u...
have a look:
The Gurkhas
Success is a bsatard. It has many fathers where faliure is an orphan, nobody owns it.

#15 clenchedFIST

clenchedFIST

emptyMIND DEVILSworkshop

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Sujita Lamichhane @ Jul 6 2004, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (Sirupate @ Jun 29 2004, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (RKYadav @ Jun 29 2004, 01:02 PM)
Is Victoria Cross Britain's highest gallantry award? How many Gorkha soldiers won this award?

Yes, it is.

George cross is the highest after the victoria cross....
VC is the highest award but unfortunately its not given 2 any1 now... so the highest u can achieve is George Cross...

altogether there are 26 VC's won by the Gurkhas... 13 by gukhas themselves and other 13 by british soldiers who joined the gurkhas as the commander.
Success is a bsatard. It has many fathers where faliure is an orphan, nobody owns it.

#16 KalluG

KalluG

Advanced Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (clenchedFIST @ Jul 8 2004, 11:56 AM)
altogether there are 26 VC's won by the Gurkhas... 13 by gukhas themselves and other 13 by british soldiers who joined the gurkhas as the commander.

It's right somehow. 26 VCs won by Gurkha Regiments.

QUOTE (clenchedFIST @ Jul 8 2004, 11:50 AM)
no mate ... now no more 11 gurkha rifles exist...... there are now.. 1RGR, 2RGR, QOGLR, QGS, QGE as a mojor unit .... there are few others like Brigade Band and all.......
A long time ago there were all these 7 GR, 10 GR, 3 GR, 1/2, 2/2 and loads other but now all are merged into 1. 7 and 10 were merged and formed 2 RGR where u  find all the soldiers from eastern part of nepal. 6 GR and other formed 1 RGR where soldier are form the western part of nepal......
its all the british policy to decrease the soldiers from the this big unit 2 small unit as we have now....
why do india also have gurkhas? its interesting question!
in 1945... is that the correct year when india got independence? on that year the british wanted only the half of the gurkha regiment 2 go with them.. so they choose 7 GR, 10 GR, 6 GR, 1/2, 2/2 with them and continued.... and the remaining units were left in india to serve the indian government. that's is y there's still gurkhas serving in India....
    just for info:
2RGR is based in brunei
1RGR is based in the shronecliff, UK
QOGLR is based in Aldershot, UK
QGS is based in York, Bramcote, UK
QGE is based in Maidstone, UK

every three yrs time 1 RGR and 2 RGR they swap their place... so this time 2 RGR is in brunei and is goin back to the Uk in 2006.

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
What qualities do I have that someone might envy !!.........................Khemraj Gurung.

#17 apala

apala

Honourable Member

• Respected Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:05 AM

Presently there are only 11 Gurkha Rifles, right? Why some Gurkha Rifle Regoments in UK and some in India?

Yes, presently there are 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiments. When India has independenced in 1947, under a tripartite agreement signed in 1947 by Nepal, India, and Britain, the Gurkha brigade was divided between British and Indian forces. Four regiments remained in the British service, and seven passed to the new Indian Army. That's why some Gorkha regiments in UK and some are in India. You can say it.....Ansha Banda. biggrin.gif
And I have read some topics same here in the WNSO forum and found that some friends wrote 1/8 Gurkha Rifle, 3/1 Gurkha Rifle, 1//11 Gurkha Rifles and etc etc more....! What does it mean?

1/8 Gorkga Rifle means the first Battalion of 8 Gorkha Rifle Regiment. 3/1 Gorkha Rifle means, the 3rd Battalion of 1 Gorkha Rifle Regiment and 1/11 Gorkha Rifle means the 1st Battalion of 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiment. In this way....1/8 Gorkha Rifle, 2/8 Gorkha Rifle, 3/8 Gorkha Rifle, 4/8 Gorkha Rifle.......8 Gurkha Rifle Regiment have solid 7 Battalions with many other seperate Battaions. I don't know the system of the UK Gorkha Rifle regiment. All Indian Gorkha Rifle Regiments have their regimental Battalions.
How many of them achieved the Gallantary awards or how many of them were been awarded by Indian Government?

In The Kargil War, out of 54 highest gallantary awards, 1/11 Gorkha Rifles alone won 17 highest gallantary awards and many others millitary awards. 1/11 Gorkha Rifle is the first Gorkha Rifle battalion who won all the gallantary awards in one war and that was Kargil War. As a whole unit of 1/11 Gorkha Rifle, they recieved all total 47 awards for Kargil War. That great achievement was the first time in Gorkha Rifle history.
best regards,

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies....remember it!

#18 apala

apala

Honourable Member

• Respected Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:23 AM

It's not true biggrin.gif Now there are solid 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiments exist. 4 Gorkha Rifle Regiments [2nd, 6th, 7th and 10th Gorkha Rifle Regiments] are under UK. QOGLR, QGS, QGE, maybe are formed as new name from the same 4 GRs which were been transfered to UK in 1947. And other 7 Gorkha Rifle Regiments are solid exist in India.

A long time ago there were all these 7 GR, 10 GR, 3 GR, 1/2, 2/2 and loads other but now all are merged into 1. 7 and 10 were merged and formed 2 RGR where u  find all the soldiers from eastern part of nepal. 6 GR and other formed 1 RGR where soldier are form the western part of nepal......

I want to correct you here, 1 GR and 3 GR in India not in UK.
in 1945... is that the correct year when india got independence?

No, India got independence in 1947.

Other information you can read in my last post.....just before this. biggrin.gif

Edited by Aayesha Rana, 10 July 2004 - 09:24 AM.

best regards,

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies....remember it!

#19 clenchedFIST

clenchedFIST

emptyMIND DEVILSworkshop

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (Aayesha Rana @ Jul 10 2004, 09:23 AM)

It's not true biggrin.gif Now there are solid 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiments exist. 4 Gorkha Rifle Regiments [2nd, 6th, 7th and 10th Gorkha Rifle Regiments] are under UK. QOGLR, QGS, QGE, maybe are formed as new name from the same 4 GRs which were been transfered to UK in 1947. And other 7 Gorkha Rifle Regiments are solid exist in India.

I want to correct you here, 1 GR and 3 GR in India not in UK.
in 1945... is that the correct year when india got independence?

No, India got independence in 1947.

Other information you can read in my last post.....just before this. biggrin.gif

oh... u r talkin abt indian army.... well i thought abt the british army.... I dont know anything abt the Gurkhas in the Indian Army.
But In the Bristish Army.
we now have 1st battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (1 RGR) and 2nd Battalion The Gurkha Rifles (2 RGR).... altogether there are 2 infantry Battalion, and
Queens Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment (QOGLR), Queens Gurkha Signals (QGS), Queens Gurkha Engineers (QGE), are the Corp Units.
My apology... its 1947 when india got its independence....

#20 Abhinava

Abhinava

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Aayesha Rana @ Jul 10 2004, 09:05 AM)
Presently there are only 11 Gurkha Rifles, right? Why some Gurkha Rifle Regoments in UK and some in India?

Yes, presently there are 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiments. When India has independenced in 1947, under a tripartite agreement signed in 1947 by Nepal, India, and Britain, the Gurkha brigade was divided between British and Indian forces. Four regiments remained in the British service, and seven passed to the new Indian Army. That's why some Gorkha regiments in UK and some are in India. You can say it.....Ansha Banda. biggrin.gif
And I have read some topics same here in the WNSO forum and found that some friends wrote 1/8 Gurkha Rifle, 3/1 Gurkha Rifle, 1//11 Gurkha Rifles and etc etc more....! What does it mean?

1/8 Gorkga Rifle means the first Battalion of 8 Gorkha Rifle Regiment. 3/1 Gorkha Rifle means, the 3rd Battalion of 1 Gorkha Rifle Regiment and 1/11 Gorkha Rifle means the 1st Battalion of 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiment. In this way....1/8 Gorkha Rifle, 2/8 Gorkha Rifle, 3/8 Gorkha Rifle, 4/8 Gorkha Rifle.......8 Gurkha Rifle Regiment have solid 7 Battalions with many other seperate Battaions. I don't know the system of the UK Gorkha Rifle regiment. All Indian Gorkha Rifle Regiments have their regimental Battalions.

That's perfect view. Kya ho Aayesh maiya pani GR maa ho ki kya ho? Sabai kura thaah raichha ta. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
REGARDS,

Abhinav V Shahi
"Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users