Postdoc Fellows and PhD Full Scholarships
Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:14 AM
Dr. Xiong’s Group: Postdoc Fellows and PhD Full Scholarships in Nanotechnology, Nanyang Technological University of Singapore.
Dr. Qihua Xiong won 2nd batch Singapore National Research Foundation Research Fellowship (NRF-RF) and recently joined Nanyang Technological University as a Nanyang Assistant Professor. With a strong support from both NRF and NTU, Dr. Xiong is expecting to establish a vibrant group dedicated into the research in nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Dr. Xiong finished his B.Sc. degree in Physics at Wuhan University in 1997. After obtained his M.Sc. degree in physics from Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 2000, he went to United States of America to pursue his Ph.D. research. In 2006, he received his Ph.D. degree in materials science at The Pennsylvania State University under the supervision of Professor Peter Eklund. His Ph.D. research covers from fundamental physical properties especially phonon properties of semiconductor nanowires, to nanomechanical properties and twinning superlattices in nanowires. He joined Professor Charles Lieber laboratory at Harvard as a postdoctoral research fellow in 2006. During his postdoctoral training, he has extended his research to include nanoelectronics and nanoelectronic devices for single molecule biosensing.
Dr. Xiong received several awards and fellowships during his graduate and undergraduate studies, including Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute (PASI) fellowship (DOE and NSF, 2006), Graduate Award for Academic Excellence (The Pennsylvania State University, 2006), Excellent Graduate Fellowship Award (1998 and 1999, CAS), Hui Kai Fellowship Award (Wuhan University, 1996), Gui Zhiting-Xu Hailan Fellowship Award (Wuhan University, 1995) and Outstanding Student Award (Wuhan University, 1994).
Dr. Xiong’s group is seeking strongly motivated postdoctoral research fellows to carry out a multi-million dollar project (funded by Singapore National Research Foundation and Nanyang Technological University), which is on the cutting-edge research in nanomaterials, nanoelectronics, energy and nanoelectronic- bio interface for single molecule biosensing. Due to the highly interdisciplinary nature of the project, candidates with a Ph.D. degree in experimental condensed matter physics, electronic engineering, chemistry (physical or polymer), biochemistry and biophysics are all encouraged to apply. Annual salary ranges from S$ 36,000-60,000, depending on qualification. Starting date is flexible and multiple positions are available.
We also keep hiring Ph.D. students with full scholarships support, undergraduate students who want to expand their horizon. For perspective Ph.D. students, please be advised that TOEFL and GRE scores are recommended but NOT required. Applicants can take equivalent English test organized by the school. Interested candidates from Physics, Chemistry, Biological, MatSE or EE should contact Dr. Qihua Xiong with their CVs. We are looking for highly passionate young students who are willing to devote themselves in the world-wide ambition and enterprise of nanotechnology. A master’s degree or demonstrated research experience in undergraduate is a plus.
Dr. Qihua Xiong
Tel: (65)-6513 8495
Nanyang Technological University
Division of Physics and Applied Physics
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
21 Nanyang Link, SPMS-PAP-04- 14
Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:44 AM
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PROSPECTIVE PH.D. STUDENTS at the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY
The United Arab Emirates University announces the establishment of a new Ph.D. program for qualified Emiratis and a number of expatriate students. The program will begin Fall 2009 and it is anticipated that up to 20 students will be admitted this first year.
I. GENERAL INFORMATION:
1. All Ph. D. students must be full time students.
2. All Ph.D. students will be supported by a scholarship that will include:
a. A monthly tax free stipend of 10,000 AED
b. University provided furnished housing
c. Health insurance for student, spouse and up to three children
d. Textbooks will be provided
e. Annual round trip air tickets to home country for student, spouse and up to three children(for expatriate students)
3. Tuition will be charged for the Ph.D. program on a credit hour basis and all admitted students will be eligible to receive sponsorships of tuition. Students admitted to the Ph.D. program who do not receive external sponsorships will be eligible for University sponsorship of tuition charges.
4. The expected duration of the Ph.D. program will be 3-4 years post Bachelor’s degree or 2-3 years post Master’s degree.
5. The program will consist of at least one year’s graduate level course work, passing of a qualifying examination and successful completion of a dissertation.
6. The exact nature of a Ph.D. students’ program will be prepared by the host department and approved by the Board of Graduate Research Studies.
7. Fields available for study include all areas currently presented by the faculties and colleges at UAEU. Discipline field names will be used such as chemical engineering, physics, history, etc.
II. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1. Minimum GPA Expectation:
a. If post Bachelor degree entry – 3.5 out of 4.0 for final 60 credit hours
b. If post Master’s degree entry – 3.5 out of 4.0 for Masters Course work.
2. Minimum TOEFL score – 575 expected.
3. GRE scores will be considered; GMAT scores for Business will be considered. These scores are not required but will strengthen the application.
4. Two letters of recommendation are required.
5. After receipt of the completed application form and supporting information as outlined in the next section, an application proposal will be prepared by host department and will require the approval of the department chair and college dean. This proposal will include a statement of personal goals from the candidate and a description of the proposal program of work.
6. The proposal will be considered by the Board of Graduate Research Studies and a recommendation made to the Provost who will make the final decision as to acceptance into the program.
7. Each of the following will be considered in reaching a decision whether or not to approve enrollment and the proposed course of study:
a. Candidates suitability, academic achievements and potential
b. Suitability and research record of supervisor and, if applicable, co-supervisor( s)
c. Suitability and research record of thesis advisory committee membership
d. Department facilities or their equivalent
e. Proposed coursework, including learning outcome goals
f. Proposed thesis topic or general area of research(exact topic may be approved later).
g. Eligibility and admission to the Ph.D. program are independent of the applicant’s tuition sponsorship.
III. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
1. Candidate must complete and submit the online application form that may be found at www.uaeu.ac.ae/PhD
2. Candidate must have official transcripts of all university work sent directly from the appropriate universities to Office of Admissions, UAE University, P.O. Box 17555, United Arab Emirates(use of express mail suggested).
3. Official score reports of the TOEFL, (GRE and/or GMAT) should be sent to: Office of Admissions, UAE University, P.O. Box 17555, United Arab Emirates.
4. Two letters of recommendation should be sent to UAE University, P.O. Box 17555, Office of Admissions, United Arab Emirates.
5. Selected candidates may be invited to UAEU for an interview. Some candidates may be interviewed via a video conferencing system.
6. Applicants are urged to contact the college and/or the department in which they would like to study and discuss their application.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the following individuals for further information about specific areas:
College of Business and Economics
Professor David Graf, Dean
College of Education
Dr. Abdulla Al-Za’abi Assistant Dean for Research and Graduate Studies
College of Engineering
Dr. Ali Almarzouqi, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies
College of Law
Dr. Shadi Murtada
College Humanities and Social Sciences
Dr. Ateeq Jakka, Assistant Dean for Research
College of Science
Dr. Abdulmajeed Saif M. Al-Khajah, Assistant Dean for Research
College of Food and Agriculture
Professor Ghaleb Hadrami, Dean
College of Information Technology
Dr. Boumediene Belkhouche, Associate Dean
College of Medicine
Prof. Mohamed Yousef Hasan, Vice Dean
Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:05 PM
Saw Centre MBA Finance Scholarship 2009-2010, Singapore
To recognize the academic excellence of students who are pursuing full time Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme at the NUS Business School, the Saw Centre for Financial Studies will award the Saw Centre MBA Finance Scholarship to outstanding students twice a year; in Semester 1 and Semester 2, beginning in Academic Year 2009/2010.
If you are a Singapore Citizen, and full time MBA student at NUS Business School, and meet the following criteria.
A) Good academic results based on award of first degree, (For applicants approaching their final one or two semesters, the additional criterion of good academic results achieved in their previous semesters will be considered).
B.) Keen interest in finance.
C) Relevant work experience in finance.
D) Strong referral letteres.
E) Family’s financial background.
(This criterion of financial needs will be considered if there are two or more applicants of equal standing.)
You are eligible to apply for the Saw Centre MBA Finance Scholarship!
To help the Centre maintain contact with propective applicants for the Scholarship, please click on the following link.
Yes, I am ELIGIBLE to apply for the Saw Centre MBA Finance Scholarship, then go here, http://www.bschool.n...egistration.htm
About the Saw Centre MBA Finance Scholarship:
Scholarship recipients in the first year of their MBA programme will each receive a monthly stipend of S$1,000 for 12 months starting from August, the beginning of each academic year.
Scholarship recipients in the final semester or last two semesters of their MBA programme will each be awarded a monthly stipend of S$2,000, up to 6 months and 12 months respectively, or up to and including the month of graduation, whichever is earlier.
There is no bond attached to the scholarship.
In addition to the above listed criteria, scholarship recipients in their first year of the MBA programme, must commit to read “Financial Management” as a core module, and “Investment Analysis and Management” as an elective. Scholarship recipients in their final semester or last two semesters must have completed at least 24 modular credits under the Finance Specialization either at the time of application or by the end of the tenure of award.
You are encouraged to learn more about the Saw Centre MBA Finance Scholarship so as to plan your coursework and scholarship application. Please click on the following attachments for more information.
Attachments (Details on the Scholarship)
Click to download ‘About the Scholarship’; http://scholarshipon...s-at-apr-09.pdf
Application Form, click to download; http://scholarshipon...s-at-apr-09.pdf
Agreement Form, click to download; http://scholarshipon...s-at-apr-09.pdf
The scholarship will be open for application before the beginning of each semester.
For applicants beginning their first year in Semester 1, the closing date for application is 30 June for award starting from Semester 1 in August.
For students approaching their final one or two semesters, the closing date for application is 31 May for award starting from Semester 1 in August and 31
December for award starting from Semester 2 in January.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users