prasant

Vounteering for conservation

Dear friends, it is well known to you all that WNSO Nepal is a forum for volunteers from a wide range of disciplines and we have been conducting different programs to enhance the knowledge of our volunteers time and again. In the same context, we had provided an opportunity for our volunteers to participate in a half day workshop on "Wildlife Crime and Database Establishment" on 12th 2008, conducted by Wildlife Conservation Nepal. I, on behalf of WNSO Nepal would like express my deep gratitude to WCN for the great hospitality and as the coordinator of the event, would like to thank all the participants of the workshop for their valued participation.

The workshop was not only a chance for our volunteers to gain knowledge on wildlife and crimes related to it but also an opportunity for the whole organization to explore avenues to work in cooperation with an organization for a common objective. I hope the workshop opened doors for both organization to work in co-ordination in future. And, it gives me immense pleasure to notify you that WCN is looking for young and enthusiastic volunteers interested to work in the field of conservation of wildlife and nature for its new program that will commence on October.

So, those who want to be a part of this program, please continue this chain. Or you can simply write to mail@wcn.org.np and express your interest to work as volunteer.

This is just a notificationThe jobs and responsibilities along with the provisions of TADA will be posted very soon.

Thanks and regards

Prasant

If you pay to volunteers for their work in field by providing food and shelter that woudl be great. If you are not doing that then you are misleading people around. You shuold remember, in reality, food should come to first priority. Some youngs are really excited about volunteering imaginging their contribution will yield something for their lives as well. A good leader i.e. an NGO shuold provid benefits to working volunteers or they should not involve innocent youngs.

Edited by BS

Dear BS sir,

this is just a workshop, any snacks is provided. As for long term volunteerism, definitely your terms and a trend of terms is applied for the career of volunteers .. sorting the fresh graduates for volunteerism should also be done wisely for a NGO to run.

If you pay to volunteers for their work in field by providing food and shelter that woudl be great. If you are not doing that then you are misleading people around. You shuold remember, in reality, food should come to first priority. Some youngs are really excited about volunteering imaginging their contribution will yield something for their lives as well. A good leader i.e. an NGO shuold provid benefits to working volunteers or they should not involve innocent youngs.

Dear Mr. BS

Let me make you clear that I'm also a volunteer of WNSO. I will be working as a volunteer for this program. Moreover its not me who will be paying volunteers for their work. In fact I am going to get paid as much as I deserve, So I'm participating in this program. This is just a genuine proposal ~probably~ a notice. There is nothing misleading in it. And as I've already told you they will make everything clear before they hire us, I don't see any problem right now.

No hard feelings, We here at WNSO Nepal prefer to call it "volunteering" rather than being misleaded or exploited.

Prasant,

I am clear on what you said and I am clear on what I meant in the post. All I wanted here is to insist that "volunteering" does not mean "for free". As a responsive citizen, I feel that our job is to guide for the best. What WCN does or what you are involved in it, is definitely a matter of convineince and personal preference. So it does not really bother me and I do not have feeling of any sort. But in most areas within Nepal, NGOs are being considered "exploiting" human resources in the name of volunteering and I just stepped into this discussion to generate "awareness" among members of WNSO. Because, even one member of wnso feels that after joining some program thourgh this network, if he/she feels for "not properly informed", we should feel guilty of running the network. That was the purpose of my post. For your notice, I have nothing at all to say per se. Good luck to your endeavors.

Thanks

Dear Dipeshmnm ji,

Thanks for your post and clarification. I was just concerned, based on my own experience of working with NGO, that each program an NGO organizes, some funding is availabe for volunteers and if "managers" intend to distribute, its possible and managers will only distribute when "volunteers" are aware of such availability. Because, NGOs are responsible to donors, if the program is financed. So I was showing a way to the members of WNSO that if there is possiblity always volunteer with NGO that can also pay you. It does not really make sense to "volunteer" for free when you have an alternate to such works.

Anyways, we should always explore possibilities of "better options" and my post was realted to insisting users for exploring "options". thanks.

Dear BS sir,

this is just a workshop, any snacks is provided. As for long term volunteerism, definitely your terms and a trend of terms is applied for the career of volunteers .. sorting the fresh graduates for volunteerism should also be done wisely for a NGO to run.

So I was showing a way to the members of WNSO that if there is possiblity always volunteer with NGO that can also pay you. It does not really make sense to "volunteer" for free when you have an alternate to such works.

WNSO is working hard for this concept. hope that we'll succeed.