Sign in to follow this  
Pant

Medicine for trust discovered

Little is known about the biological basis of trust in humans. But now a study of nearly 200 Zurich students playing an investment game with real money has come up with a finding of startling simplicity. The hormone oxytocin (applied as a nasal spray in this experiment) increases an individual's willingness to trust someone. Oxytocin had previously been found to have a key role in regulating positive social interactions in non-human mammals. This work may be expected to trigger a wave of new research on the biology of trust in humans. There could be clinical implications too, for patients with mental disorders associated with social dysfunctions, such as social phobia, autism and antisocial personality disorder.

oxytocin is supposed to either induce or enhance the labour right? suppose there was a pregnant lady with asperger's syndrome/autism and the syntocinon caused her to have a premature labour?? (soz i probs come across really dumbass here) it causes uterine spasms for women at low doses and the nasal spray would be quite a low dose--or would it, since it's to affect the nervous system. what would be the side efffects of the drug to someone who isn't pregnant and a man?

Bravo, Great topic guys,

I also know that oxytocin helps starting and continueing a labour. Moreover it contracts myoepithels in breast for lactation. Beside these good things there are many side effects, as distant_memory also says it contracts uterus, it's clear that in sensitive women a long contraction may lead to tearing of uterus. And if muscle contracts I guess it can press blood vessels which can lead to lack of blood supply and so of oxygen. Well in such case the fetus will really have a bad luck, he or she will not enjoy this kinda game for longer time. So far it is concerned to an autism patient, as a preclinical student I don't know much, but theoretically a premature birth is still possible, I guess cool.gif . Isn't it ? ---coz of too much contraction??? blink.gif About dose I am little bit skeptic. Coz it would depend individually in sensitiveness. and nasal spray, I guess, can also be given in greater amount, however it is mostly used with patients having prob in lactation, isn't it? .

So far I know oxytocin, a neurosecretory hormone, is produced in hypothalamus. A high dose may send FEED BACK to Master gland(sitting on a turkish sattle laugh.gif ). So I think it can lead to Nasal irritation of course, vaginal bleeding(it is not funny cool.gif ), etc. So far I can remember I think oxytocin has no fuction in man ( how is it on homos?? biggrin.gif ), but I can imagine that some may show general effects like headache, may be heart beat irregulation,( imagine ******* bleeding laugh.gif )

I would ask as Pant has mentioned bout relation between trust and oxytocin, well limbic system is responsible for trust, so how does oxytocin( or its product after breakdown) stimulates limbic system for increase in willingness to trust????

If possible can somebody refer to corresponding article???

oxytocin is supposed to either induce or enhance the labour right? suppose there was a pregnant lady with asperger's syndrome/autism and the syntocinon caused her to have a premature labour?? (soz i probs come across really dumbass here) it causes uterine spasms for women at low doses and the nasal spray would be quite a low dose--or would it, since it's to affect the nervous system. what would be the side efffects of the drug to someone who isn't pregnant and a man?

Rajiv

I would ask as Pant has mentioned bout relation between trust and oxytocin, well limbic system is responsible for trust, so how does oxytocin( or its product after breakdown) stimulates limbic system for increase in willingness to trust????

If possible can somebody refer to corresponding article???

72080[/snapback]

Intranasally administered oxytocin crosses the blood−brain barrier into the central nervous system, conclude that the central action of oxytocin increases trusting behaviour; and because the oxytocin spray did not change the behaviour of the trustees, it seems that oxytocin only increases trust, not the reliability of the trustee. This is a remarkable finding.

Remove trust and you compromise love, friendship, trade and leadership. Little is known about the neurobiology of trust, although the phenomenon is beginning to attract attention2.

As for oxytocin, it is a small peptide, consisting of nine amino acids, that is produced mostly in the hypothalamus, the brain's master controller of biological regulation, including emotion. Oxytocin acts both on certain targets of the body (it is best known for inducing labour and lactation) and on brain regions whose function is associated with emotional and social behaviours (the amygdala and nucleus accumbens, for example) — that is, it works both as a hormone and as a neuromodulator, a kind of neurotransmitter. In animals, oxytocin contributes to social attachments, including male and female bonding after mating, mother and infant bonding after childbirth, and assorted sexual behaviours. Besides triggering complex and specific action-programmes, oxytocin may well work part of its charm by selectively lowering the natural resistance that animals have to the proximity of others, thus facilitating what is known as 'approach behaviour'