39 replies to this topic

#1 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 10:22 AM

Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) has selected 26 young probable players for the closed camp for U-19 Youth Asia Cup that will be held in Karachi of Pakistan during in third and fourth week of July.

The tournament was initially scheduled to be held in Singapore but the SARS epidemic forced the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) to shift the Youth World Cup selection tournament to Karachi.

Nepal is defending campion of Youth Asia Cup. Nepal won the last tournament held in Kathmandu under the captaincy of Binod Das and went to play Youth World Cup in New Zealand where it defeated the likes of Bangladesh and Pakistan to become Plate Runner-Up.

For the national U-19 team, 14 players will be selected from those probables. The porbables in the camp includes: Shakti Guachan, Dipesh Khatri, Karna Samant, Prem Chaudhary, Rajendra Chand, Shashi Keshari, Sabant Regmi, Basudev Thapa, Bantu Bataju, Raj Shrestha, Manjit Shrestha, Ratan Rauniyar, Ayush Shrestha, Sarad Veshwakar, Paras Khadka, Yashwant Subedi, Lakpa Lama, Manoj Katuwal, Subash Jaiswal, Pramod Basnet, Samir Thapa, Irfan Siddique, Mahesh Chhettri, Nasir Ansari, Kaniska Chaugai and Munik Shrestha.

The players were selected based on their performance at previous international tournament and at the U-19 National League held recently in Kathmandu

For latest views and analysis on cricket, Visit: http://www.cosmiccricket.com

#2 KalluG

KalluG

Advanced Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 03:31 AM

U-19 Youth Asia Cup fixtures released

Nepal will play Maldives in the Group B U-19 Youth Asia Cup at Karachi's Pakistan Steel Ground on July 15, released fixtures for the tournament said.

Besides Nepal and Maldives, Singapore, Kuwait and Thailand are in the Group. Nepal will play Thailand at the Agha Khan Gymkhana four days later on July 19, Singapore on July 21 and Kuwait on July 23.

Read more Here

What qualities do I have that someone might envy !!.........................Khemraj Gurung.

#3 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 09:01 AM

18 Players are announced for the U-19 asia cup

The defending champion Nepal is set to defend the title.It has selected 18 possible players who will fight for the pride from the brilliant players in the camp.The carnival will start from July 19 at Karachi,Pakistan.Falling comparatively in the easier group,Nepal doesn't seem any careless for the upcoming challange.The selected players for the U-19 asia cup are:
Shakti Gauchan,Manoj Katuwal,Nasser Ansari,Kaniska Chaugain,Prem Chaudhary,Pramod Basnet ,Sarad Veswakar,Raj Shrestha,Basanta Regmi,Yaswant Subedi,Lakma Lama,Dipesh Khatri,Paras Khadka,Sashi Keshari,Aayush Shrestha and Mahesh Chhetri.The final 14 players will be selected from these players very soon.

#4 Manasi

Manasi

• Literature Gurus
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:11 PM

love_united ji and Khem ji, thank you for the information. Good luck to all Nepalese players for U-19 Asia Cup.
It's a sad and stupid thing to have to proclaim yourself a revolutionary just to be a decent one.

#5 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 09:58 AM

This time ,I want to give the informations upon the most watchable players in Nepalese team in the upcoming u-19 asia cup.The informations are obtained from the source"www.cricket.com.np".

Shakti Gauchan(captain):‘Patient while batting and efficient while bowling’ best describes the man leading the U-19 Nepali team in Youth Asia Cup, 2003. Shakti Gauchan’s ability to stay at the crease and scoring patiently and bowling every ball on the right spot of the wicket when it matters most has made him a brilliant cricketer. He has, time and again, shown this ability, and that has always helped Nepal win matches.

The 5-feet-11-inch tall lad from Bhairahawa is one of the best cricketers Nepal have these days. Be it for U-17 or U-19 or senior team, he has his name listed for best performances. Shakti is not only the batsmen to score highest number of runs in a tournament, 248 runs in 6 matches of Fourth ACC Trophy with two half centuries, but he is also the most economical bowler for the senior team, 116 runs in 58 overs of nine matches at an economy rate of 1.97 per over. Moreover, he has taken nine wickets and in two matches– against Oman and Malaysia- he has been declared man of the match.

The semi-final against Malaysia in fourth ACC Trophy last year was a very crucial match, a win leading to the qualification to play against giants of Asia. Shakti showed his class – scored 67 runs off 110 deliveries and took a wicket with an astonishing bowling figure of 9-4-14-1. It was with his man of the match award that Nepal qualified to play Asia Cup along with India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan and the other finalist UAE.

Youth Asia Cup, 2001 in Kathmandu was another memorable tournament for the lean and soft-spoken boy. His century against Maldives scored in 107 balls was not a fluke, but a flash of talent. It was all scored with the patience he plays with; when he lost that after reaching century and tried to step outside for a big hit, he was trapped and had to return.

The score of the final against Malaysia says that Nepal easily won the match by seven wickets, but it doesn’t tell the story of first 12 overs when Malaysia batted. Malaysia was 45 without loss, although the run rate was not that impressing, Nepali were turning nervous. At the crucial moment, Shakti rolled up the sleeves and took two quick wickets to reinject the enthusiasm in his teammates.

"My responsibility has increased as the captain," said Shakti. "But I am sure our team will perform well and I will contribute for that."

Manjit Shrestha(vice captain)
:If the captain is known for his patience, his deputy, 6-feet tall Manjit Shrestha from Biratnagar, is just opposite. Manjit, the bowling all-rounder, is aggressive. The seamer from a cricketing family likes to hurl the ball fast and wants to return it with the bat even faster. Ambitious to score a half century this time, Manjit’s only worry is that he may not get chance to bat long enough.

Like his captain, Manjit too has represented Nepal in U-17, U-19 and senior level. Had Shakti’s century not hogged the limelight in the match against Maldives, Manjit would surely have been a hero. His unbeaten 43 runs off 25 balls helped Nepal surpass 300-run mark and his bowling, 10-1-28-5, helped his team to win by the margin of 251 runs.

That was the best of Manjit, aggressiveness in both batting and bowling. Against India U-19 in their recent tour to Nepal, Manjit showed his character. In the second match when all the Nepali batsmen were failing to score runs, he scored 30 runs, quite quickly, with 2 fours and 2 sixes. "Nobody will remember what we did in New Zealand, if we fail to win this time," said Manjeet. "I will try my best to perform as an all-rounder to contribute for the victory." Nepal reached the plate final of the Youth World Cup in New Zealand in 2002.

Manjit said that the team is better than what it was in 2001. "It’s balanced and everyone can bat and bowl," expressed Manjit. "The only thing hard to replace in the last team was captaincy, it’s very difficult to replace a captain like Binod Das."

Yet, he is confident that Shakti will do well.

#6 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 10:07 AM

Kaniska Chaugain and Yashwant Subedi(The Opening duo):Morning shows the day, and the morning of each Nepali innings during U-19 Youth Asia Cup in Karachi, Pakistan will probably be handled by two energetic and popular cricketing figures – Kaniska Chaugai and Yashwant Subedi.

Even in test-playing nations, good openers are hard to find. For Nepali youth team, these two are the best openers because of their skill, appetite for runs and capability to play swift shots all over the ground without fearing the new ball bowlers.

Kaniska hails from Kalaiya of Bara, though he has lived in Kathmandu for much more time. The only son of a cricketing father, Sushil Chaugai – a cricketer and recently a commentator, Kaniska has, since his childhood, dreamt of a career in cricket. The 17-year old has honed his batting skills under the strict vigil of his father (he avoids his father if he plays badly fearing a long ‘lecture’).

When Kaniska scored praiseworthy half century against Malaysia in the final of Youth Asia Cup, 2001, everyone including match referee Rakibul Hasan of Bangladesh rated it as one of the most brilliant innings he had seen in that level of cricket. And, that was so – a flawless innings with six boundaries and if the target were over 200, he would surely have produced a brilliant century. But the target that Malaysia managed was just 140 runs, half of which Kaniska scored alone.

Kaniska’s performance in other matches ( 27*, 37, 31 and 11) during the tournament was not bad either. He got start in every match but failed to convert them into big scores. During Youth World Cup in New Zealand, he scored 162 runs in 8 matches and was the second most successful Nepali batsman after Bardan Chalise.

His career records in U-19 level is also impressive – 396 runs in 16 matches at an average of 28.28 runs per innings with the strike rate of 49.93. He is currently the highest run scorer for Nepal in U-19 level and is confident of making his statistics more impressive.

"This time, I will score a century," said Kaniska before he left to Karachi. "I am in good form and have learnt a lot since the last Youth Asia Cup." Kaniska’s confidence is due to his maturity in batting and coaching of Roy Dias.

His partner, with whom he had opened all of his U-19 innings, Yashwant, however, doesn’t boost an impressive statistics to his name. The highly talented batsman is committed to tidy up his records and to show everyone why he is trusted by the coach.

"I need to do well to make them forget the failures I had last time," Yashwant told The Kathmandu Post. "We are under a kind of pressure to perform well as the senior players." Yashwant and Kaniska are among those seven players of the squad who were a part of the team that won the cup in Kathmandu.

Yashwant can play classic shots, but his temperament seems to desert him. A few of his colleagues claimed that his aggressive temperament have been overshadowing his talent. He was even out for duck in three innings among 16 innings he has opened. "I am in form and I will try to play long innings," said Yashwant, who is certainly matured to an extent from where he can impose himself upon the bowlers.

The 18-year old boy from Biratnagar showed a flash of his class against India U-19 in the first match. He scored two brilliant boundaries off the first two balls he faced – the shots that even Ten Sports channel found hard to digest and didn’t show while transmitting the whole match a few days after the completion of the tour.

Yashwant’s best had been against Scotland, when he scored 45 runs for a century opening partnership with Kaniska. His 45 off 81 balls with 7 fours and Kaniska’s 43 off 84 balls with 6 fours is the best opening partnership for Nepal in U-19 level to date.

They are determined to repeat the feat and surpass the record this time.

Edited by love_united, 12 July 2003 - 10:10 AM.

#7 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 10:17 AM

Sharad Veshwakar and Paras Khadka(the middle orders): Sarad Veshwakar of Kathmandu has played just a U-15 tournament and two U-19 matches in the international level but he is already a big name in Nepali cricket – mostly because of his century against Qatar in U-15 Asia Cup.

In fact, the U-15 Asia Cup held in United Arab Emirates was a memorable event for Sarad andshould be called Sarad Show in Nepal. In 8 matches, he scored 274 runs at an impressive average of 45.66 along with a century, the first century for Nepal in that level, and a half century.

His century against Qatar came in 102 balls with 13 fours. Qatar is a weak team but that shouldn’t take anything away from the batsman who showed amazing patience to score a century in such a tender age. His shot-selections and the execution of the classic shots can carry him to dizzy heights in future, according to former players and coaches who have watched him playing.

No one should ask for more impressive records from a 15-year old boy like Sarad. The tall and lean Sarad scored all those runs at the strike rate of 77.62 and with 22 fours and nine sixes.

His impressive batting was one of the major reason behind Nepal’s run into the semi-finals of the tournament that was participated by Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India. Nepal defeated Bangladesh but went down to India by 27 runs. In the semifinal, Nepal lost by the same margin to Pakistan but not before creating a havoc in the Pakistani camp by bowling them out for mere 117 runs.

Sarad has only played two international U-19 level matches, both of them against mighty Indian U-19 during their tour to Nepal. He scored 14 in the first match and 1 in the second. Surely he didn’t impress on debut, but considering the quality of the opponents he can only improve on that performance..

Sarad seemed confident of his batting. "I have done well in U-15 level, and I am confident that I can repeat that in U-19," said Sarad. "I will make best efforts to score runs and win matches for Nepal."

With a team boosting many senior players, he expressed the combination of seniors and juniors would produce the best results. The training was frequently disrupted by rain during the closed camp, but Sarad knows it’s not an excuse. "We have to win," he added.

Sarad’s performance in last U-19 national league is not bad. He scored 23 against champions Bhairahawa and 39 against other finalist Biratnagar. But it was his teammate Paras Khadka, who accompanied him in U-15 Asia Cup, who hogged the limelight during U-19 national league.

Paras, a 16-year old from Kathmandu, scored 139 runs at an average of 46.33 runs in three matches of that league. His scores of 43 against Birgunj, 43 against Bhairahawa and 53 against Biratnagar (the match against weak Nepalgunj was cancelled due to rainfall, otherwise his statistics could have been better) provide ample evidence of his batting talent.

Add lively medium pace bowling to that and one gets an indispensable all-rounder. Standing at one inch taller than 6 feet, Paras was the vice-captain of Nepal during U-15 Asia Cup and scored 95 runs in 8 matches at an average of 15.83. His bowling statistics of the tournament read: 46-3-157-9. His best was against Singapore (3/12) and the economy rate of 3.41 is top of the drawers stuff in limited overs cricket.

Paras, and Sarad, were among those five Nepali players, selected for U-15 Asia Dream Team that toured Sri Lanka. "I am in my best form," said Paras before he left to Karachi. "I am confident, but can’t say what will happen."

Paras knows the aim of Nepali team – qualification to Youth World Cup that will be held next year in Bangladesh. "Anyhow, we need to qualify for the World Cup," was what he said at the end and Sarad gestured in support.

Sarad and Paras are still young, with good future prospect, but they are committed to contribute in U-19 Youth Asia Cup in Karachi. And, coach Roy Dias would approve that.

Edited by love_united, 12 July 2003 - 10:25 AM.

#8 love_united

love_united

United

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 10:32 AM

Lakpa Lama and Irfan Siddique(The spin attack):Turning the red cherry is an art, only few cricketers possess it, and only few of them have the ability to turn the matches with the turn of the ball.

Lakpa Lama of Kakarvitta, Jhapa has proved to be one of the rare breeds for Nepal, at least at U-19 level. He was declared man of the series in the Youth Asia Cup, 2001 in Kathmandu for his tally of 15 wickets in five matches with five-wicket hauls against UAE in semifinal and against Malaysia in the final. His performance in final, 5/20, is not only his career best figure but it also helped Nepal restrict Malaysia for mere 139 runs to win their first international tournament.

The 19-year old Jhapa Tiger neither gets big turns nor have an excellent action, but gets the wickets with the accurate balls. Many cricketers call him ‘lucky’. If he is one, he should be very, very lucky indeed to deliver till the date. "Talent without a chance is a waste," he likes to repeat every time, even in local matches, if he doesn’t get chance to bowl.

His talent in sports is not only limited to cricket, he is also a decent footballer. He invites batsmen to hit the deliveries, and gets them out to ambitious shots. He is very effective if someone on the other side is bowling tight. "Raj Shrestha can provide good combination," Lakpa answered when asked about his partner. Off-spinner Sanjam Regmi was his bowling partner during last Youth Asia Cup and Youth World Cup.

Including U-17, U-19 and senior level matches, he has already taken 32 wickets in 22 matches. His U-19 performance is the best: 16 matches, 29 wickets at an average of 11.48 and economy rate of 2.83 runs per over. At senior level, he has played just two matches and bowled in only one of them with the figure of 7-2-12-0.

"I am better than what I was in 2001," said 5-feet-4-inch tall Lakpa. "I am confident of impressive performance owing to my experiences and training."

If Lakpa is lucky, there is another spinner in the squad who should be called unlucky. Nepalgunj’s Irfan Siddique is a frequent closed-camp visitor but rarely makes into the final team. The 15-year old lad has been called in two senior closed-camp and also in last year’s U-19 closed-camp but was not included in the final squad.

The right-arm leg spinner has ability to bowl varieties of balls. He watches the batsmen and bowl accordingly, and can be very effective in the pitch helping spinners. His googlies can surprise batsmen.

Irfan can also stay at the crease to take a few singles as a lower-order batsman and fields very well. "I will do my best for the country," said Irfan, who has only played one U-19 level match before – against visiting India U-19 team. His debut, duck while batting and 2-0-14-0 is not that impressive, but he can do better than that.

Irfan played a crucial role as a spinner during U-15 Asia Cup taking 12 wickets in 8 matches with an average of 12.25. His best in the tournament came against Kuwait when he took three wickets for mere one runs. He has also scored 31 runs in three matches, including 22 runs against Pakistan in semifinal.

"I learnt a lot during training from the coaches and seniors," said Irfan, who wanted to thank his family, specially his brothers, for helping him to be a cricketer.

The spinners hope to turn the matches in favour of Nepal with the turn of the balls.

#9 ram dotyal

ram dotyal

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

It's milestone.

Nepal beat Maldives by 344 runs in the first fixture of the U-19 Youth Asia Cup in Karachi Monday, report from the Pakistani port city said.

Nepal batted first and scored 391 runs in the allotted 50 overs for the loss of only four wickets. Kaniska Chaulagain scored 125 runs.

Maldives collapsed for 47 runs in 26.3 overs in the massive run chase. Lakpa Lama bagged three wickets. Nepal plays Qatar on July 18, UAE on July 20 and Singapore on July 22.
nepalnews.com br July 14

"Some goals are so worthy it's glorious even to fail"

#10 KalluG

KalluG

Advanced Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Rohit Shahi @ Jul 14 2003, 09:57 PM)
It's milestone.

Nepal beat Maldives by 344 runs in the first fixture of the U-19 Youth Asia Cup in Karachi Monday, report from the Pakistani port city said.

Nepal batted first and scored 391 runs in the allotted 50 overs for the loss of only four wickets. Kaniska Chaulagain scored 125 runs.

Maldives collapsed for 47 runs in 26.3 overs in the massive run chase. Lakpa Lama bagged three wickets. Nepal plays Qatar on July 18, UAE on July 20 and Singapore on July 22.
nepalnews.com br July 14

Cheers!!
What qualities do I have that someone might envy !!.........................Khemraj Gurung.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users