#1 velvetzebra

velvetzebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:50 PM

Helo friends,

I hope I'm in the right page....

It's been not long that I have my own computer with internet. I am more worried about online frauds, i.e worried about using credit cards.

As suggestion to my friends, I have installed NAV 2003 and McAfee personal firewall plus. But still when I use symantec security check, it shows my computer is not fully protected yet.

Please help me.

You can also suggest me where I can download security tools to protect my PC.

Regards,

VZ

#2 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

Advanced Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 03:35 AM

Vevetzebra,

Firewall and other internet seurity only controls your computer, once the data left your computer and trvel through the wire the internet security software has no control over it...but there is a way,

When you do the secure online transaction there are various security authorisaton method which has public and private liability. Make sure in the address bar of your internet browser you see https:// where s is suffix for secure transaction instead of http:// fronm the client side you can only do this much iand it is secured.

Otherwise, If you mean that someone is stealing from your computer, then let us know what actually you intend ?

By the way there are various security tools, For what job you want the security tools? While you have norton security? It's enough but please do read the documentation.

it shows my computer is not fully protected yet.

That means you have the wrong setup or you have not updated the defination. Please reset everything or reinstall and do all the updates. You will be secured.

Edited by Negative Phreek, 03 January 2005 - 04:38 AM.

#3 linuxuser

linuxuser

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

when I use symantec security check, it shows my computer is not fully protected yet.

Your computer can NEVER be fully protected!! Think about it, McAfee/NAV update their antidote only after new germs are introduced. Antivirus software companies have no idea what/when hackers/crackers come up with!!!
:)

#4 velvetzebra

velvetzebra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

Helo Negative Phreek and Linuxuser bro,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and views,

You both are right.

Recently I came to know that my computer is installed with pirated XP, so I couldn't update new service pack. That could be the reason showing "Unprotected" when I scan for security check.

I think, it costs big money to have genuine XP software, which I dont have right now.

Would you please suggest me where can I find it, cheaply or easliy ??

I really appriciate your help.. thanks again

#5 Limitation//Moon

Limitation//Moon

Advanced Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:54 PM

velvet if you cannot afford XP, don't use it, I dunno if you get student discount on XP but you do get in Microsoft office, Use the student version.

Since you have a illigit copy of Microsoft. You won't be allowed for windows upadatw, sure you have a vulnurable computer cuz it's not patched or installed SP's yet. Chances are you will be SPOOFED/SPAMMED and your gonna be victim of net fishing. If your concern is security . YOU DONT HAVE IT AT ALL now. So goto opensource if you can't afford M$

Alternatively use, Linux get it free from http://www.linuxiso.org You have to download it from here, This is technically much more secure than windows, FIREWALL is free as well and you don't need antivirus currently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users