14 replies to this topic

#1 sunil

sunil

Chautari Board / ICC/ National Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:03 AM

A great note for all to read. It will take just 37 seconds to read this and change your thinking.

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.

Every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window. The man in the other bed began to live for those one-hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and colour of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every colour and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance. As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene. One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man couldn't hear the band - he could see it. In his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days and weeks passed. One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away. As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside. He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall.

The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window. The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."

Epilogue: There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations. Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled. If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy. ‘Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present."

The origin of this letter is unknown.
People will forget what you said...
People will forget what you did...
But people will never forget how you made them feel
Sunil Kumar Joshi
WNSO - Nepal, Kathmandu

Visit My Website
Visit My Facebook
Visit My Academia.edu
Visit My Album

#2 aruna

aruna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:56 AM

This one is very nice.
I do have one story which is very inspirational too.
I took it from funpage.com.

One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people can be. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people can be. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "It was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Oh Yeah" said the son. "So what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.

We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

With this the boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks dad for showing me how poor we are."

Too many times we forget what we have and concentrate on what we don't have. What is one person's worthless object is another's prize possession. It is all based on one's perspective. Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for all the bounty we have, instead of worrying about wanting more.

#3 newapasa

newapasa

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

The Gift

Bennet Cerf relates this touching story about a bus that was bumping along a back road in the South.
In one seat a wispy old man sat holding a bunch of fresh flowers. Across the aisle was a young girl whose eyes came back again and again to the man’s flowers. The time came for the old man to get off. Impulsively he thrust the flowers into the girl’s lap. “I can see you love the flowers,” he explained, “ and I think my wife would like for you to have them. I’ll tell her I gave them to you.” The girl accepted the flowers, then watched the old man get off the bus and walk through the gate of a small cemetery.

Thought is free.

#4 dude_yog

dude_yog

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

both the three stories r insprirational !!!wow simply great ..
<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><i>I am thunderbolt among weapons.im victory & resolve,im briliance of fiery heroes.im morality of ambitious men </i></span></span>

#5 sunil

sunil

Chautari Board / ICC/ National Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:17 AM

I have one more to share:

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his 4-year old son waiting for him at the door.

"Daddy, may I ask you a question?" "Yeah sure, what is it?" "Daddy, how much do you make an hour?" "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?" the man said angrily. "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much you make an hour?" pleaded the little boy.

If you must know, I make $20 an hour." Oh," the little boy replied, with his head down. Looking up, he said, Daddy, may I please borrow $10?" The father was furious, "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. This about why you are being so selfish. I work long hard hours everyday and don't have time for such childish behaviour."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money? After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think he may have been a little hard on his son. May be there was something he really needed to buy with that 10, and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

"Are you asleep, son?" he asked. "No Daddy, I'm awake," replied the boy, "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on your earlier," said the man. It's been a long day, and I took out my aggravation on you. Here’s that $10 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, smiling, "Oh, thank you Daddy!" he yelled. Then reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man seeing that the boy already had money started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, then looked up at his father. "Why do you want more money if you already have some?" the father grumbled.

"Because I didn't have enough, but now I do," the little boy replied. "Daddy, I have $20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."

The Father was in tears the next moment and apologised to his son by kissing and hugging him the whole night. Share this story with someone you like. But even better, share $20 worth of time with someone you love. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts."

Sunil Kumar Joshi
WNSO - Nepal, Kathmandu

Visit My Website
Visit My Facebook
Visit My Academia.edu
Visit My Album

#6 newapasa

newapasa

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:37 AM

"Roles--and How We Play Them"

Whenever I'm disappointed with my spot in life, I stop and think about little Jamie Scott. Jamie was trying out for a part in a school play. His mother told me that he'd set his heart on being in it, though she feared he would not be chosen. On the day the parts were awarded, I went with her to collect him after school. Jamie rushed up to her, eyes shining with pride and excitement. "Guess what, Mum" he shouted, and then said those words that remain a lesson to me: "I've been chosen to clap and cheer."

-Marie Curling

Thought is free.

#7 shrbinay

shrbinay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:30 AM

every wnso member should read this
....................................................................................

#8 dream_noon

dream_noon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

hey nice stories keep it up guys!!!
its not what u want in life
its knowing how to reach it

its not the goal you set
its what u need to achieve it

its not where u want to go
its knowing how to get there

its not what u dream of doing
its having the knowledge to do it

#9 NIKS

NIKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:20 AM

Very nice. If you have more, add here.

#10 sawmer

sawmer

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

good and a lively one.......
keep it up
Sameer...
baharo phool barsaoo
mera mehboob aaya hei....
mera mehboob aaya hei...

You will receive ur white coat---a symbol of trust and unique relationship that a physician enjoys with his or her patients............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users