Sign in to follow this  
Deepa Pal

Tsunami toll nears 40,000; India mourns its 9,500

Survivors in seven countries on the shores of the Indian Ocean scrabbled frantically through debris and devastation for their loved ones on Tuesday as the death toll climbed inexorably towards 40,000.

The scale of the destruction caused by Sunday's monster tsunami left governments helpless and groping for succour. On coastline after coastline, the sea disgorged the dead and rescuers fought through a morass of wreckage, mud and body parts.

The United Nations said the disaster was unique in encompassing such a large area and so many countries.

Aid agencies struggled to cope with the enormity of the disaster. The International Red Cross said it may have to treble its appeal for funds.

"The enormity of the disaster is unbelievable," said Bekele Geleta, head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Southeast Asia.

The United Nations said hundreds of relief planes packed with emergency goods would arrive in the region from about two dozen countries within the next 48 hours.

Authorities waited in trepidation for the outbreak of diseases caused by polluted drinking water and the sheer scale of thousands of putrefying bodies.

Read all the past news, source is: http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_1173331,001301540000.htm

-----------------------------------------

Situation in Sri Lanka is very serious. Nobody is replying from there. Galle is the main point of this accident And I think, our many guys are living in Galle area. Any news about our friends, please?

Edited by Deepa Pal

I was shocked to hear about the news yesterday. Couldn't believe such a disaster could happen during the Christmas time. The time when we were enjoying party of Christmas, people somewhere were struggling with the nature. Condolence to those who had lost their lives in this accident.

Yes deepa ji it was a great jhatka yar .I didnt believe it yas but when i saw the news then i was shocked yar .Its too bad to hear that .

I express my heart felt condolence to all of them who just passed away and pray their soul remain peace in heaven .

Yes deepa ji it was a great jhatka  yar .I didnt  believe  it yas but when i saw the news then i was shocked yar .Its too bad to hear that .

I express my heart felt condolence to all of them who just passed away and pray their soul remain peace in heaven .

64383[/snapback]

this is sad news indeed right on christmas. thank god our nepal is landlocked.

Situation in Sri Lanka is very serious. Nobody is replying from there. Galle is the main point of this accident And I think, our many guys are living in Galle area. Any news about our friends, please?

Nothing much to be serious. According to Min Bahadur Thapa, our ladies from Galle hostel already moved to Ratnapura as well guys from Matara and Bentota area. Bishnu Newa ji was slightly injured during the surviving mission but he is fine now.

Thank you.

Thanks God! all are safe there. Thank you to Newa ji and all other friends who brought to all Nepalese friends to the safe place. Here is also very critical situation in Tamil Nadu but our known guys all are fine as far as I heard the news from south. Little problem comes to the all students in the affiliated areas of Tamil Nadu, I think. The boundary area is almost destroyed by the waves, I heard this.

This is really bad acting by nature. Thousands people of Sri Lanka and India had lost their life. May the departed souls rest in peace.

Edited by Aayesha Rana

It is very hard to see the people suffering from the flood and being washed away like paper. I just hope Governments in those country recieve all the help they need to make it through this hard time.

Hopefully now India will work on installing some warning system in its ocean so that it can provide warning to residence in the coastal area.

well! peace and harmony to all the family members who lost their loved ones in these unbelieveable natural disaster.

the conform death toll has this fiufre:

Sri Lanka: 18,706 dead

Indonesia: 27,174 dead

India: 4,371 dead

Thailand: 1,516 dead

Maldives: 52 dead

Malaysia: 44 dead

Burma: 30 dead

Bangladesh: 2 dead

Somalia: 100 dead

Kenya: 1 dead

Seychelles: 3 dead

Tanzania: 10 dead .

now the death toll is expected to 70,000 and still going up!

the damage is "beyond comprehension" and now the UN emergency relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland said on Tuesday the organisation would probably make its largest ever appeal for humanitarian funding.the UN faces unprecedented challenge in co-ordinating distribution of aid to some 10 nations at once.

well all i can say is the world is going crazy!

According to United Nations coordinator Elmquist who have visited Sumatra, the death toll in Indonesia is expected to be 50,000-80,000. Elmquist based his estimation on experiences done with other disasters. The city Meulaboh alone may have 40,000 deaths.

According to United Nations coordinator Elmquist who have visited Sumatra, the death toll in Indonesia is expected to be 50,000-80,000. Elmquist based his estimation on experiences done with other disasters. The city Meulaboh alone may have 40,000 deaths.

64484[/snapback]

My god, that's more than what I have expected. I wonder why nature plays such game with we human beings.Most of the time, the nature hempers the area which are already suffering from lots of trouble.

Please to hear that atleast our nepalese brothers and sisters are safe from this disaster.Hope to hear the confirmed news soon.