18 replies to this topic

#11 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Few more tips

Some programs have already been designed to work in conjunction with Vista’s UAC – and will not install if you have selected to turn UAC off. For Example Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8. You will receive an error similar to "The Temp folder is on a drive that is full or is inaccessible. Free up space on the drive or verify that you have write permission on the temp folder". Not even running the exe as a administrator will allow you to install. Just reboot your PC.

If an application refuses to install because it needs ‘Admin rights’, even though you’re an admin, right click the exe and choose ‘Run as Administrator’

Vista appears to not like graphics cards from different manufacturers. Make sure any additional cards are from the same manufacturer if Vista gives you graphics issues. (So far nvidia seems better supported than ATI but this is only from a couple of cards)

The local administrator account is disabled by default

The biggest difference between the firewall settings Home, Office and Public is that Public locks down your PC’s visibility on the network and Network discovery is turned off

To change the function of the ‘power’ button on the task bar go to ‘Control Panel>Power Options’. Click on ‘Change when my computer sleeps’ on the left. Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’ and expand ‘Power buttons and lid’.

If you need the command prompt during Vista install (eg to run diskpart) press Shift+F10.

To launch an application as administrator with minimal effort press the Windows key, type the app in the search bar (eg CMD) and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. This will run CMD as administrator! If you type ‘color 4f’ in the CMD window you can then differentiate it from the regular permission screens.

Vista Activation Error 0x8007232B. If you get this error while activating IGNORE MS’s advice about activation servers etc, just re-enter the product key you installed Vista with in the first place.

To run ipconfig commands you have to run command prompt as an administrator

To delete the undeletable
create a batch command delete.bat, as follows:
takeown /f %1 /r /d y
icacls %1 /grant administrators:F /t
Go to command prompt, run a command such as delete.bat hard_to_delete_filename

more next time..

Please feel free to ask questions, I will try my best to reply
regards
Himal Rai

#12 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

You can easily find these but just to make it easy for you, here they are

1. Vista keyboard shortcuts
2. Vista compare

Attached Files

regards
Himal Rai

#13 rema

rema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

Hey Himal,

Where are you these days? Please come out with more IT related informations.

Cheers,

Rema

#14 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(BS @ Jul 19 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the compatibiliyt problems can be solved by choosing "compabitibitliy" thing in control panel during installing the programs. I once was frustated to install SAS in vista but later found the way out. I do not use vista anymore by the way:).

As long as you can install the software you can run that program in compatiblity mode

Getting Older Programs to Run in Vista
To run a particular application in compatibility mode,
right-click the program's icon, click Properties, and
select the Compatibility tab.
After you put a check next to Run this program in compatibility mode,
you'll be able to select a specific version of Windows (including XP Service Pack 2) that you want Vista to emulate when running the program.

Remove Default RSS feeds from the Common Feed List

Start Internet Explorer
Open the Favorites Center (ALT+C)
Click on the feeds menu
Right click on the ones you want to remove and select “Delete“

Install games that come with Vista

Some versions of Windows Vista don’t have the games already installed. Here is how to install them.
Click the Start Orb
Click Control Panel
Click Programs and Features
At the side there should be “Turn Windows features on or off”, Click that.
Click the box by Games
Click Ok

Talk to your computer

Goto Control Panel
Click Speech Recognition
Click Start Speech Recognition
Now you can tell your computer what to do! Be sure to take the Speech Tutorial first to get your computer use to your voice.

Check Your Memory

Sometimes when a system crashes a lot or behaves erratically, the cause may be faulty RAM.
You can use Windows Vista's Memory Diagnostics Tool to run a memory test that's far more comprehensive than the POST test done when the system boots. The only catch is that the test can only be run before Windows loads, so when you launch the Memory Diagnostic Tool you'll have the choice to restart the system immediately or have the test run the next time you restart.

Resize Disk Partitions Without Data Loss

Vista will allow you to change the size of an existing disk partition without wiping out your data.
From the Start menu,
right-click Computer and choose Manage.
Then select Disk Management and
select the partition you want to change.
You can then choose either Extend Volume or Shrink Volume and specify a new size.

Today's news about Vista fixes http://www.techworld...cfm?newsid=9662

More next time......

regards
Himal Rai

#15 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

Download and install these patches

Update for Windows Vista (KB938194)
This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the reliability of Windows Vista in certain scenarios.
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Update for Windows Vista (KB938979)
This is a performance update. Install this update to improve the performance of Windows Vista in certain scenarios.
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

regards
Himal Rai

#16 ukarki

ukarki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

Save yourself from Vista. Install XP. It is much better. Now if you are computer literate, use Suse Linux or some other LInux Distro. I use Suse, no driver issue on my Acer. And most of all, tons of free software and tons of users

#17 Himal Rai

Himal Rai

Board Member

• Chautari Board
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

Wireless Troubleshooting

Problem: Inability to Connect and the wireless doesn’t receive the single.

1.It could be the Wireless adapter driver issue. Upgrade the latest driver. Or use Microsoft WLAN Autoconfig service.
2.You may need to update the software or firmware in your wireless router or access point.
3.Changing wireless networking channels.
4.Incorrect configuration. The mismatch might be in the form of different authentication settings, incompatible equipment, or other configuration issues.
5.Check access control (MAC) address filtering.
6.The wireless AP and wireless network adapter are not using the same 802.11 standard (for example, you are using an 802.11b network adapter and a 802.11a wireless AP)
7.The wireless radio button on the computer might be in the off position

Problem: Intermittent Connectivity and the most common scenario is an automatic disconnect about every 3 minutes

1.802.1X authentication is enabled for wireless network that does not support 802.1X authentication. You may disable 802.1X authentication.
2.The computer is running Microsoft wireless software and wireless manufacturer software.
3.Disable IPv6.
4.Disable NIC power management
5.Re-set NIC speed.
6.Radio frequency (RF) interference from nearby devices such as cordless phone and Bluetooth devices
7.Outdated wireless network adapter driver

Problem: The wireless loses the connection after sleep mode.

1.Use the Maximum Performance setting. by default the wireless network adapter is configured to use Medium Power Save mode when it is using battery power. This uses the 802.11 power save mode. You may want to configure the wireless network adapter to use the Maximum Performance setting.
2.Use the “High performance” power plan
To do this, please follow these steps:
1.Click Start , type Power Options in the Start Search box, and then click Power Options in the Programs list.
2. Click High performance.

Problem: The wireless doesn’t work in Vista.

1.Upgrade the latest wireless driver.
2.Use Vista wireless software instead of the manufacturer’s software.
3.In many cases, if you turn the security off, the wireless may work.
4.In other cases, no security didn’t work. try both WEP and WPA.
regards
Himal Rai

#18 Prashad

Prashad

• Literature Gurus
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(ukarki @ Aug 19 2007, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Save yourself from Vista. Install XP. It is much better. Now if you are computer literate, use Suse Linux or some other LInux Distro. I use Suse, no driver issue on my Acer. And most of all, tons of free software and tons of users

Yes I agree, Linux are the safest of all.
I just uninstalled Vista from my PC .I like XP rather.The only thing I like in Vista is the GUI, that can be installed on XP too via third party tools.
I think I will be using XP untill Microsoft stops suports for it.

Moon belongs to everyone,
the best things in life,
they are free.

#19 Engi

Engi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:35 AM

Windows vista is really crap.
I herd it's got the virus injection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic