26 replies to this topic

#21 rinarai

rinarai

Member - WNSO UK Committee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:49 PM

altnough I am also rai, I would not give that money to charity, at least not all. What is the point of giving that money to charity and himself (children of VC) going to survive under charity's help.

#22 Sirupate

Sirupate

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

A Victoria Cross has been auctioned for £132,250 ($243,711) by the family of a Nepalese Gurkha.

The money, raised in an auction in London, will be given by the family of Honorary Captain Agansing Rai to help underprivileged children in Nepal.

user posted image

more

#23 clenchedFIST

clenchedFIST

emptyMIND DEVILSworkshop

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (rinarai @ Jul 21 2004, 04:49 PM)
altnough I am also rai, I would not give that money to charity, at least not all. What is the point of giving that money to charity and himself (children of VC) going to survive under charity's help.

k huncha ta charity lai deda.... tapai le dinu bhayeko sahayog le yedi kasai ko bhabisya bancha bhane kina donate nagarenae huh?
cmon ... it's him the 1 who won the VC .. isnt' that great for the nepalese.. bcoz of heroes like him nepal is considered as a country of bravery... tehi karan ta british le nepali lai paldai chan ta in their own country... till this day
u should b proud 2 of that ... hoina ra? wink.gif

Success is a bsatard. It has many fathers where faliure is an orphan, nobody owns it.

#24 makardhoj

makardhoj

Honourable Member

• WNSO Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Sirupate @ Jul 22 2004, 04:03 PM)
The money, raised in an auction in London, will be given by the family of Honorary Captain Agansing Rai to help underprivileged children in Nepal.

That's great. They (his family) did great work what has been done on the name of the bravy tiger of Gorkha. My salute to his family too.
regards,

No man is a good doctor who has never been sick himself.

#25 Narayan Shrestha

Narayan Shrestha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Aayesha Rana @ Jul 10 2004, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (Narayan Shrestha @ Jul 8 2004, 10:46 AM)
Presently there are only 11 Gurkha Rifles, right? Why some Gurkha Rifle Regoments in UK and some in India?

Yes, presently there are 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiments. When India has independenced in 1947, under a tripartite agreement signed in 1947 by Nepal, India, and Britain, the Gurkha brigade was divided between British and Indian forces. Four regiments remained in the British service, and seven passed to the new Indian Army. That's why some Gorkha regiments in UK and some are in India. You can say it.....Ansha Banda. biggrin.gif
And I have read some topics same here in the WNSO forum and found that some friends wrote 1/8 Gurkha Rifle, 3/1 Gurkha Rifle, 1//11 Gurkha Rifles and etc etc more....! What does it mean?

1/8 Gorkga Rifle means the first Battalion of 8 Gorkha Rifle Regiment. 3/1 Gorkha Rifle means, the 3rd Battalion of 1 Gorkha Rifle Regiment and 1/11 Gorkha Rifle means the 1st Battalion of 11 Gorkha Rifle Regiment. In this way....1/8 Gorkha Rifle, 2/8 Gorkha Rifle, 3/8 Gorkha Rifle, 4/8 Gorkha Rifle.......8 Gurkha Rifle Regiment have solid 7 Battalions with many other seperate Battaions. I don't know the system of the UK Gorkha Rifle regiment. All Indian Gorkha Rifle Regiments have their regimental Battalions.
How many of them achieved the Gallantary awards or how many of them were been awarded by Indian Government?

In The Kargil War, out of 54 highest gallantary awards, 1/11 Gorkha Rifles alone won 17 highest gallantary awards and many others millitary awards. 1/11 Gorkha Rifle is the first Gorkha Rifle battalion who won all the gallantary awards in one war and that was Kargil War. As a whole unit of 1/11 Gorkha Rifle, they recieved all total 47 awards for Kargil War. That great achievement was the first time in Gorkha Rifle history.

Now I understood, Thank you very much Didi. I feel really proud myself to hear that the 1/11 Gorkha Rifle won all the Highest Gallantary awards in one war. Although, I feel so sad to hear that many Gorkhali soldiers of 1/11 Gorkha Rifles died during the Kargil war.

#26 Neha_Shahi

Neha_Shahi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Narayan Shrestha @ Jul 24 2004, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I understood, Thank you very much Didi. I feel really proud myself to hear that the 1/11 Gorkha Rifle won all the Highest Gallantary awards in one war. Although, I feel so sad to hear that many Gorkhali soldiers of 1/11 Gorkha Rifles died during the Kargil war.

That was a sad news that many Nepalese (Gorkhas) lost their life during Kargil conflict but I feel pridge myself to see a biggest sacrifice of our brothers of 11 GR. We (Gorkhas) live a life for others, this is what we have a quality of human.

Edited by Neha_Shahi, 28 June 2009 - 12:16 PM.

Thanks N regards,

Neha Shahi

#27 imike24

imike24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Interesting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users